CK Group are recruiting for a Microbiology Laboratory Manager to join a contract testing company at their site based in Consett on a full time, permanent basis. The Company:
Our client provides testing services to the environmental and water sector and they now have a new vacancy for a Microbiology Laboratory Manager to manage this facility. You will be solely responsible for the supervision and operation of a newly developed UKAS accredited water testing microbiology laboratory and will oversee the training and development of staff to ensure workloads are efficiently managed. Hours are Monday – Friday, 8am-4pm with some flexibility required. The company offers a package of £27,000-£30,000pa depending on experience, as well as 28 days holiday, pension, life assurance and more. The Micro Lab Manager will reports to the General Manager and will have 3 direct reports. Location:
This role is based at the company's site in Consett, commutable by road from surrounding areas including Durham, Gateshead and more.Your main duties will be:
- To take overall responsibility for the day to day running of the microbiology laboratory, ensuring that the correct levels of staff are available at all times, so that no disruption to sample throughput occurs.
- To improve productivity and make efficiency improvements as necessary.
- To assume responsibility for liaison with suppliers and manufacturers to source the best deals for equipment, services and supplies with the assistance of the procurement team.
- To assist with the implementation and management of changes to the laboratory and quality system and ensure UKAS accreditation is upheld at all times.
- To ensure that samples are processed and tested for the appropriate Microbiology parameters using the correct methodologies and results are delivered within the desired timescales.
- To oversee training for all department staff and to promote cross training of different departments.
- To ensure that the methods used reflect current legislative and industrial requirements and provide expertise in method development and validation.
- To assist with implementing, developing, reviewing and updating standard operating procedures for the business.
- To ensure that all quality control, method deviations or equipment breakdowns are reported promptly to the Quality Department and to assist and document investigations, according to internal quality policies.
- To provide technical support to customers and across the business as required.
The ideal candidate for this role will have the following skills and experience:
- Degree qualified or equivalent in Microbiology or related
- Proven management and supervisory experience in a commercial ISO 17025 microbiology environment
- Extensive knowledge of analytical techniques for microbiological analysis as well as comprehensive understanding of water matrices
- Fully conversant with the EU and UK regulations relating to the microbiological analysis of water
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Ability to motivate and develop staff potential
It is essential that applicants hold entitlement to work in the UK. Please quote job reference 56537 in all correspondence.