AWE is currently recruiting for a Materials Scientist
within the Materials and Analytical Science (MAS) Sub-Function to carry out synthetic and formulation chemistry within Flexible Organic and Additive Manufacture team. Location
- £33,770- £40,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)Closing Date
- 6th December 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK)
has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
Within the role the successful candidate will provide technical knowledge and expertise in the field of polymer materials and chemical science while supporting the delivery of the programme and external collaborative projects, in a cost effective, quality conscious, safe and secure manner.We would be interested in hearing from candidates who can demonstrate knowledge or experience in the following
Successful candidates will typically be responsible for the following
Degree (or equivalent) in chemistry and materials science
Knowledge of general materials science or organic/polymer chemistry
Working knowledge of UK REACH
Good wet chemistry laboratory experience
Knowledge of safety paperwork including COSHH and risk assessments.
Good standard of report writing and giving presentations
Knowledge of techniques such as rheology, thermal analysis including DSC, TGA and DMA, and mechanical testing would be beneficial.
Knowledge of silicone and polyurethane chemistry would be beneficial
Prepare, analyse, characterise and assess samples using agreed procedures and processes
Produce documentation to communicate projects
Manage projects and report deliverables to customers
Develop knowledge in a particular scientific or product field and share best practice.
Assistance with COSHH Assessor; Risk Assessor; Manual Handling Assessor
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.