We’re looking for an Industrial Placement Student to join our R&D team Preston, UK
Sika is a specialty chemicals company with a leading position in the development and production of systems and products for waterproofing, bonding, sealing, damping, reinforcing, and protecting in the building sector and motor vehicle industry. Sika has subsidiaries in 101 countries around the world and manufactures in over 300 factories. Its more than 27,000 employees generated annual sales of CHF 9.3 billion in 2021.
The core responsibility of the Preston R&D team is to develop polymeric intermediates that enhance Sika’s product portfolio across the UK within sealants, adhesives, and coatings. The team works closely with other Sika R&D teams based around the UK to deliver improved product performance as well as sustainability initiatives. R&D is a key component in Sika’s aim to be a driver of the transformation of the construction and manufacturing industry towards net zero.
Purpose of the Role
Based in a global technology centre, the R&D Industrial Placement Student works alongside the wider R&D team in line with the Sika UK strategy. The role is predominantly laboratory-based encompassing both polymer synthesis and final product application testing, whilst experimental design, execution and data interpretation are key daily activities. The student will work as part of cross-functional and cross-site teams towards a common goal of being an efficient and sustainable manufacturer of high-performance products to provide customer value.
What’s In it for You?
- Experience a year with an R&D team working on product performance, process efficiency and sustainability initiatives. This will develop and diversify laboratory skills as you use different synthetic processes and final product performance tests.
- Develop transferable skills working with cross-functional and UK-wide teams whilst managing projects towards a shared target.
- Understand the commercial contributions of research and development towards a business.
You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, and a sweep of great benefits. We pride ourselves on our total reward package:
- Holiday 25 days rising to 28 days with service, plus bank holidays
- Hybrid Working
- Core Hours Working between 10:00-16:00
- A company pension contribution of up to 10%
- Private healthcare for you, with option to add family
- Group life cover at 6x your annual salary
- Global Income Protection (PHI)
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Staff discount platform & Cycle to Work scheme
- Dedicated Service Awards for reaching key milestones
- Selected discounted Sika products
At Sika, there is a significant commitment to professional and personal development from day one. You will be an integral part of the Preston R&D team which is within the wider UK R&D network. The R&D manager will be your line manager, but mentorship and supervision will come from across the R&D team at different stages throughout the placement teaching you new skills and providing guidance. The team prides itself on a strong basis of openness and support where successes and mistakes are freely exchanged.
Joining the R&D team will give you an insight into industrial research & development, operational activities, and commercial aspects of the business. Tangible skills such as time management, project management, and synthetic expertise will be nurtured and developed.
Potential Career Routes:
The possession of a greatly improved knowledge of industrial practises leaves the student with many invaluable skills in today’s employment landscape. Past students have been a great success leaving with many achievements that have left them in good stead for their future; some of these past students are now full-time employees at Sika. Students often complete their placement at Sika with an improved idea of what future career path to take after university.
What we need from you?
- Currently studying for an undergraduate degree in chemistry.
- Interest in synthetic chemistry and sustainability.
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team.
- Proactive, enthusiastic, and independent.
- Excellent communication skills.