Chemistry Operations Manager
- NoBACZ Healthcare
- Cambridge, UK
- Closing date
- 28 May 2023
- Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Healthcare, Laboratory Services, Management
- Full Time
NoBACZ Healthcare Ltd. is seeking a talented and motivated chemist or chemical engineer to join our team in Cambridge, UK. As a University of Cambridge spin-out company, we are pioneering antibiotic-free veterinarian wound care products and are preparing to launch our first product. The successful candidate will have a strong chemistry background, good inter-personal skills, have a strong hands-on work ethic and an eye for detail whilst retaining the necessary agility and adaptability that a start-up company requires. The post holder will work across the company but especially with the laboratory science team and the chief scientific and chief innovation officers. Due to the nature of the role and the start-up context of NoBACZ Healthcare, the successful candidate must be an experienced self-starter, capable of operating independently.
1. Laboratory Operations Matrix Management. As part of the scientific team, following regular meetings with agreed team tasks, the post holder will develop delivery plans and timelines and will shape, track and report progress as required.
In addition the post holder will be responsible for ensuring SOPs, Risk Assessments, Safety Data Sheets etc are maintained up to date and are followed in the laboratory.
2. Manufacturing Operations. The post holder will be responsible for all aspects of outsourced manufacturing, ensuring that products are ready and delivered in a timely fashion with appropriate quality and that 3rd party stocks of raw materials are appropriately delivered and maintained. The postholder will also ensure efficient cross-talk between the laboratory and 3rd party manufacturers as required, and will be responsible for the development and implementation of quality assurance processes.
3. Knowledge Management- Laboratory and Manufacturing. The post holder will need to introduce and roll out e-lab books for the laboratory and to develop and maintain an associated database that is efficient and searchable. In addition, working with the scientific team, the post holder will need to ensure that prior / existing lab methods and outputs, as well as all auxiliary knowledge (CLP etc), are written up in a series of internal papers and are loaded up to the database.
4. Project Tracking and Reporting. A major part of NoBACZ Healthcare’s role over the next 2 years is delivery of a joint investor-IUK project. The post holder will ensure delivery of all manufacturing and laboratory tasks for the project and, with the clinical trials and data manager, will be responsible for reporting and presentation of progress at regular intervals, as well as the grant budget management.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in R&D operational management and will be proficient in the use of project management tools (Gantt charts, task breakdown, etc).
The role will suit chemists or chemical engineers with operational experience from a variety of backgrounds, including:
a) Hands on lab management in research institutes
b) Start-up or other small industry product development
c) Supporting roles at University research groups such as senior post doctoral scientists overseeing lab operations.
On site role in Cambridge (a minimum of 4 out 5 workdays)
Position requires occasional travel (10%)
Must have the right to work in the UK at the point of job application.
Precision Liquid Bandages (also termed barrier dressings) were invented by Drs Jonathan Powell, Nuno Faria, Carlos Bastos and Will Thom at the University of Cambridge. The IP was filed by the University and a first scientific publication followed entitled ‘Robust rapid‑setting antibacterial liquid bandages’(1). The value of the product was demonstrated in a proof-of-concept trial on dairy cows with the disease, digital dermatitis. This approach could address the significant impact this disease has on economic productivity in dairy farming and quality of life of the animals.
In November 2020, NoBACZ Healthcare was established by the inventors and their co-founding business partners, Liam Eves and Kym Denny Eves. The company was awarded an Innovate UK grant and drew investment from several sources including Cambridge Enterprise, Martlet Capital and a group of Angel Investors.
Following a successful two and quarter years of further product development, testing and use trials, NoBACZ is positioned to release its ProTechX (pronounced Pro-Tex) range of Precision Liquid Bandages, starting with ProTechX Bovine. To take forward our launch, and to continue development of other ProTechX products, NoBACZ raised a full seed round of £1.8M in equity plus £860,000 from Innovate UK. We are delighted to have the Yield Lab join us as lead investor, alongside the same investors from the pre-seed raise.
NoBACZ’s Precision Liquid Bandages will change the way that we care for animals and, ultimately, humans. Our products are innovative and adaptable. They set on application and are inherently antimicrobial but are antibiotic free. The products prevent microbial ingress or biofilm formation on their surfaces, but do not leach or treat the wound. They are lick proof and water resistant and do not require removing as they remove themselves over time. And they are composed of only sustainable and safe components that are all food or feed grade. They can be used over pre-applied antiseptic, such as iodine, or over pre-applied veterinary medicinal products such as topical antibiotics. Precision Liquid Bandages thrive in extreme environments, from the demands of the modern dairy farm through to all-weather outdoor pursuits, every bit as much as they do in a clean hospital or home environment.
(1)Bastos, C.A., et al., 2020. Robust rapid-setting antibacterial liquid bandages. Scientific reports, 10(1), pp.1-8
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert