Publishing / Assistant / Development Editor - Journals
- Cambridge- and home-based hybrid working in the UK
- £33,960 per annum
- Closing date
- 20 Feb 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Accreditation Requirements
- Not specified
The Royal Society of Chemistry publishes 48 world-leading journals that span the core chemical sciences and related fields. Known for rigorous, fair peer review and fast publication times, our journals publish the best science, from original research articles to authoritative reviews. As a not-for-profit publisher, we reinvest surplus funds back into the global scientific community, supporting our purpose to help the chemical science community make the world a better place.
We are looking for Publishing Editors, Assistant Editors and Development Editors to join our Journal teams. These three roles are an essential part of the whole publication process and work closely with external researchers (who are acting as authors, editors/board members, reviewers, etc.). These are varied roles where you will use your scientific knowledge, creativity, and team work to provide excellent customer service to our authors and reviewers.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we promote a healthy work/life balance and flexible working options across the organisation. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to all employees including:
- 26 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- Up to 12% pension contribution
- 35-hour working week with flexible options
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Paid volunteering days
To view the rest of our employee benefits, click here.
Due to regular progression and development within our Publishing Directorate, we recruit for these roles on an ongoing basis. We are happy to accept applications from candidates at all stages of their careers. Our aim is that our workforce, at all levels, will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee feels respected and able to give their best. We will accept applications from candidates who qualify for Skilled Visa Sponsorship.
*We offer a competitive Salary Progression Scheme for this role. The starting salary is £33,960. After 3 years of experience in the role, and with good performance, the salary will increase to £37,733 per annum.
- A degree in science, or relevant equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills interacting with internal and external colleagues
- Strong organisational and time-management skills together with the ability to work under pressure, prioritise and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- A proactive approach to problem solving
- Good attention to detail
Responsibilities could include (depending on the specific role):
- Work in a defined journal portfolio, typically of 4-6 titles
- Carry out the assessment and selection (through peer review) of high-quality articles and reviews for publication
- Attract world class authors to publish in the journals through direct invitation
- Promote content published in RSC journals in collaboration with Marketing colleagues
- Assist in the peer review of manuscripts submitted to the journal(s) by advising and supporting external Editors.
- Support the production of journals, including issue make up, themed collections, and associated tasks
- Provide exceptional customer service to authors, reviewers, and external editors
- National/European travel (where required)
Please refer to the three specific job descriptions below for more details.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert