The Royal Society of Chemistry seeks a Project Officer for an exciting new project on the Future Chemical Sciences Workforce and Education Pathways, on a full-time or part-time temporary fixed-term basis to 30 June 2024.
About the Royal Society of Chemistry:
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is a not-for-profit organisation and registered charity whose mission is to advance chemical sciences. We are a publisher, a professional body and a voice for chemical sciences, with a heritage spanning 180 years. We reinvest the surplus from our publishing business back into the global scientific community, supporting our purpose to help the chemical science community make the world a better place.
The Project Officer - Future Chemistry Workforce will assist with delivering the Future Workforce and Education Pathways project. This is exploring the potential changes in the chemical sciences workforce, the skills that employers will be looking for, and the education and training pathways that will support and enable this. The project will feed into many areas of strategy and development within the RSC, as well as inform our communities and our influencing work.
This project will draw on knowledge from, and provide important insights for many different areas of the RSC’s business, including our support to chemistry teachers, our advice on chemistry curricula in schools, further education and universities, our accreditation of chemistry degrees, the professional development and careers support we offer our members and our efforts to foster inclusion and diversity in the chemical sciences. It will provide important information for many different RSC members and member groups.
Your role will include project management and communication. You will support research activities as part of the project, including administering contracts, conducting desk research, maintaining project documentation and communicating research findings. You will work with a large range of colleagues in the RSC, some senior and with some senior external stakeholders.
What we are looking for:
- Either education to degree level or significant workplace experience of researching, synthesising and communicating information, alongside curiosity about future workplaces, skills and learning.
- Proven experience of taking a lead role in managing and coordinating projects. Strong oral and written communication skills – in particular, the ability to summarise key points from a discussion clearly in writing in a timely manner, to make clear requests of others, to write progress reports and articles for a generalist audience and negotiate with senior colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, including the ability to organise your own and others’ work and to execute plans as well as ability to persuade others outside your management chain to take required actions.
- Ability to get to grips with new software systems quickly (eg. intranets, finance systems) and to use the MS Office suite easily to organise tasks, produce documents, analyse data, track progress and collaborate with others (including Word, PowerPoint, Teams and Excel).
- Ability to work on own initiative and on multiple tasks at the same time and demonstrate strong prioritisation of your own work.
The contractual base for this role is our Cambridge on London office, however we are currently embracing hybrid working, and therefore you will have the opportunity to also work mostly from a UK location other than this, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend our Cambridge and London offices and travel as required in their role. This role is expected to involve occasional UK travel and occasional evening working for member events. It can be full-time or part-time (minimum 0.6FTE). This role could be worked term-time only with good forward planning.
Visit our Work For Us website to learn more about us, our benefits, equal opportunities statement and inclusive culture pledge.
If you are interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
View and download the full job description here.