A truly unique opportunity has become available for a Chemistry Team Manager to join our Laboratory team in Saltford. Specialising in soils and sludges analysis, you will bring your inorganic chemistry technical expertise into a management role, where you will play a key role in shaping the way our expert chemistry teams work.
Wessex Water’s laboratory in Saltford analyses more than 100,000 samples a year from around the region. We are a scientific centre accredited to ISO 17025:DWTS that utilises world class technologies and equipment to analyse water and environmental samples to protect both public health and the environment
As Chemistry Team Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- managing and developing staff, including performance management and recruitment
- ensuring audits and any non-conforming work are followed up in a timely manner, reviewing methods and ensuring work is carried out to the appropriate regulatory requirement
- ensuring compliance with the laboratory quality management system, leading on internal and external audits and proactively looking for efficiencies and improvements
- being responsible for the health, safety, wellbeing and security of staff and equipment
- coordinating out-of-hours and emergency cover where needed
- the proactive participation in the management of the Scientific Centre, including deputising for the Head of Analytical Services who has overall responsibility for managing the laboratory
- providing internal and external customers with advice, while also interpreting methodology and results
- providing advice on new methods, equipment and techniques, and implementing them where appropriate
- keeping up to date with developments in microbiology, the water industry and active participation in industry working groups.
What do I need?
To be considered for this opportunity, you will have degree-level qualifications and relevant experience in a chemistry-based role. As well as your expertise in inorganic chemistry, you will possess excellent people management skills.
You should have strong interpersonal and leadership skills, demonstrate aptitude in problem-solving and decision-making, be able to build a strong and flexible team, be responsive to the needs of customers and be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
You should have, or be working towards, chartered status with an appropriate professional body. An understanding of the regulatory requirements of the water industry and experience working in an accredited environment are advantageous.
Benefits for you
- Pension – up to 20% combined contribution
- 25 days’ holiday rising to 28 with length of service
- Opportunity to buy and sell up to five days’ holiday
- Health benefits package
- Life assurance (up to four times your salary)
- Electric vehicle salary exchange
- Flexible working
- Cashback and discounts from over 1,200 retailers
- Paid volunteering day
- Enhanced family leave
- Interactive health and wellbeing platform
- Support from mental health first aiders
- £1,000 referral fee if you recommend someone to work for us
What will you get from us?
Our people tell us Wessex Water is a great place to work, and they stay with us! We are proud of how we support development and career progression. We have a wealth of both financial and non-financial benefits to offer our people and are committed to ensuring we provide an environment that supports health and wellbeing and flexible working.
We continue to promote diversity and inclusion. With that in mind, we welcome all applicants.
We are delighted to have signed the Armed Forces covenant and are a Disability Confident Employer. Applicants who declare they have a disability or have previously served with the Armed Forces, and meet the minimum requirements for the job, will automatically be invited for an interview.
Please let us know if you require any additional support or adjustments to assist you in starting your journey with Wessex Water.
If you have what it takes to join this award-winning business and want to be part of our exciting journey and share in that success, then please get in contact with us to find out more.
Sound interesting? Please click APPLY to progress to the next step.