Synthetic Organic Chemist
- £40-45k (experience dependent), plus share options
- Closing date
- 31 Jan 2023
- Organic, Synthetic Chemistry, Organic Synthesis, Mass Spectrometry
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Do you want to join a company passionate about the science and be at forefront of sustainability in food production? We are looking for a synthetic organic chemist who wants to develop a lab scale synthetic process and make it a multi-tonne industrial process for an agro-active biostimulant, which is significantly improving yields in many crop species. This is an exciting opportunity to develop your scientific knowledge and make a difference to global agriculture.
Job Title: Synthetic Organic Chemist
Reporting To: Chief Technology Officer
Contract duration: Open-ended, 6-month probationary period
Salary: £40-45k (experience dependent), plus share options
Application closing date 31st January 2023
- To design, synthesise and test new products based on SugaROx core technology.
- To develop cost-effective T6P-based AI synthesis routes.
- To define the operating parameters for production scale up of active ingredients.
Skills and Experience:
- Educated to PhD level in synthetic chemistry.
- Understanding of core analytical techniques used for product characterisation including ICP, NMR and Mass Spectrometry.
- Understanding of HS&E boundaries required for safe laboratory experimental practice, including experience of writing robust risk assessments.
- Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong ability to evaluate and solve problems
- Strong planning and organising skills with ability to meet deadlines
- Work to high standards with strong attention to detail
- A self-starter able to work in a team as well as independently.
SugaROx is a joint venture spinout company between Rothamsted Research and Oxford University formed in 2020 that is commercialising a biostimulant product based on the plant signalling sugar trehalose-6-phospate, first published in Nature (2016).
Applicants must be willing to work in the Oxford area.
Please submit your CV, cover letter, and contact details of at least 2 references to email@example.com using the link below.
Enquires about this vacancy should be directed to Dr Cara Griffiths (CTO), firstname.lastname@example.org
SugaROx Ltd is a spin-out from Oxford University and Rothamsted Research set up in Feb 2021 to develop crop biostimulants based on active ingredients (AI) inspired by natural plant molecules. The first AI in its pipeline is an analogue of trehalose-6-phosphate, a molecule with a critical role in sugar use and allocation in plants. The end-users for the biostimulants are growers but SugaROx will deploy a B2B business model. That means it will sell its biostimulants to companies that supply agricultural inputs to growers (i.e. seeds, seedlings, fertilisers, crop protection products, etc). The venture is at pre-commercial stage. On wheat, its most advanced area of research, the SugaROx AI can deliver up to 22% yield improvement. An early assessment of the potential economic and environmental benefit of the product (which is still under development) indicates that a 15% yield boost would increase the gross margin of UK winter milling wheat farmers by 24% and deliver an 11% reduction in carbon emissions per loaf of bread produced with UK wheat.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert