Job Type: Full-time, Temporary (12 months)
Hybrid (Cambridge office) or UK Remote
About the RSC
The Royal Society of Chemistry is a not-for-profit organisation whose mission is to advance chemical sciences. As a not-for-profit publisher, we reinvest surplus funds back into the global scientific community, supporting our purpose to help the chemical science community make the world a better place.
The RSC strives to continuously innovate its product and services to adapt to market and customer needs, maintain relevancy and diversify revenues from print journals. This requires a market-led and ‘outside-in’ thinking approach to product and service innovation.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we promote a healthy work/life balance and flexible working options across the organisation. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to all employees including:
- 26 days paid holiday per annum
- 35-hour working week with flexible options
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Paid volunteering days
- Pension plan with up to 12% employer contributions (depending upon your contribution)
- Life assurance at four times basic annual salary
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for an Editorial Assistant, Journals, to join our Publishing team in a critical support role, providing administrative support to our Journals Launch team. The role is on a full-time, temporary basis, with start and finish times being flexible, maintaining a 35-hour week.
Your responsibilities will focus on:
- Managing the shared journal mailboxes and responding to general queries from both internal colleagues and external customers (for example potential authors, including in response to commissioning activities).
- Providing administrative support for the Journals Launch team for a range of activities. This may include collating statistics, organising, and maintaining data, information and materials, and liaising with the travel team over travel arrangements.
- Retrieving data from databases, sending electronic mailings via Maxemail, carrying out times to publication and competitor analyses and updating the journal blogs.
- Arranging both virtual and physical Editorial Board meetings, for physical meetings this may include booking venues, arranging travel and accommodation for Editorial Board members.
- Maintaining and updating Editorial and Advisory Board lists and appointment and retirement tasks
- Liaising with Editorial Board members regarding marketing and promotional activities, providing general assistance, and arranging payments/ processing expenses.
- Providing cover for the other Editorial Assistant(s) when absent and assisting them with administrative duties, to ensure the smooth running of the journals department.
- Undertaking other reasonable duties and projects as required by the Journal Launch Manager and Publishers and their team(s) as appropriate.
- Ensuring that every effort is made to progress the RSC’s Publishing strategy for core and new product development, and technical innovation.
We are looking for:
- Previous administration experience
- Efficiency and competence in the use of software packages associated with PCs
- Very good organisation and time-management skills, together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Good communications skills and proven ability to work effectively as part of a team.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we will support you in your career and reward your contribution with an excellent benefits package.
The contractual base for this role is Cambridge, however we are currently embracing hybrid working, and therefore you will have the opportunity to work from a location other than this, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the offices as needed for their role. Fully remote / home-working contracts will also be considered.
Download the full job description here.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org