Polymateria’s mission is to tackle the global crisis of fugitive plastic waste, reducing towards zero its impact on the natural environment and ecosystems. Based on the White City Campus of Imperial College in London’s I-HUB, Polymateria has invested heavily in R&D and Innovation over the last few years to set new standards for biodegradable plastic and is now scaling up its operations.
About the Role
Polymateria is seeking to appoint a Senior Scientist. The candidate will be an integral part of the Innovation Team based in the UK and will work closely with colleagues in the Innovations Team in the UK. The team include scientists, engineers, biologists, and project managers who work to deliver leading edge science in a corporate R&D environment operating to highest standards.
This position is permanent and full-time and will be based at Polymateria’s HQ and home of our high-tech labs in the Translation and Innovation Hub of Imperial College at White City, London, UK.
The ideal candidate will be motivated by using analytical chemistry as a tool to develop products with better sustainability features and performance. They will be a logical and analytical thinker as well as being extremely organised in their approach to work. Additionally, the candidate will be dynamic and adaptable with a willingness to grow and develop new skills in a fast-paced plastics technology company based in central London. They will be responsible for running various analytical techniques on polymer samples as specified in a pre-agreed project plan with their R&D line manager and will be responsible for recording the data produced from this testing in the appropriate company templates for evaluating the data. They will communicate with other members of the team on tasks required for the smooth running of the lab, including stock management, machine maintenance and general GLP. They will be responsible for liaising with team members and administrative staff on the use and handling of data, specifically in meeting deadlines for uploading data.
It is essential candidates have a diligent working manner, excellent attention to detail and an eagerness to excel. Excellent organisation, communication and interpersonal skills are critical for this role. Candidates must be self-motivated, able to work on initiative and strive to tight deadlines with confidence. Candidates must have the ability to work well in a focussed lab environment using high tech analytical equipment, as part of a team, with confidence to assume new tasks and responsibilities as training and development progresses. Experience using Microsoft Office Suite (notably Outlook, Excel, Word & Power Point) is essential. The Key Skills for the role include, but are not limited to:
• 3+ years post-graduate experience in an R&D environment and experience of leading R&D projects.
• BSc (or equivalent experience) in Chemistry, Biology or Materials Science.
• Good communication and presentation skills – both verbally and in written format.
• Previous experience of polymer analysis and/or chemical analytical techniques, including FTIR, GPC, TGA, DSC and other analytical methods is desired, but not essential as bespoke training will be provided.
• Proficient in the use of key IT skills, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Adhere to and support the implementation of all company HSEQ requirements
Salary and benefits
• Gross annual salary of £36k - negotiable depending on experience.
• Enrolment in company pension scheme.
• 25 days holiday leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays.
• Must have the right to work in the UK.