Due to several exciting projects, we are actively looking for a Research Chemist to join our Strategic Research group within our global Research and Development division. The Strategic Research group is a global multidisciplinary team of chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, physicists and chemists who are accountable for being a source of innovative technical solutions on longer-term research initiatives. The individual will be responsible for providing the technical foresight to ensure continued technology leadership in our current business activities and to provide the necessary technical solutions to expand into new business areas. A physical sciences background and practical experience of Surface Science and Materials Analysis techniques is required.
“There are so many things that I love about this Research Chemist role. You are joining a team of fantastic researchers that work in a dynamic and collaborative environment. Our labs are equipped with cutting edge technologies, and we partner externally with the some of the best universities and R&D organizations in the world. Our team is highly sought after and often lead some of the most exciting projects at Lubrizol. We are committed to investing in the development our employees and maintaining our leadership position in our industry. If you enjoy working alongside extremely smart and engaged scientists, this could be the job for you.”
Kieran Trickett, Global Senior Manager Strategic Research, Research and Development
Summary of Responsibilities:
As a member of the Research and Development department, you will provide expertise to benefit existing Lubrizol business areas and be involved in exploring new business opportunities. This includes leading efforts related to fundamental knowledge generation, as well as collaborating with colleagues on new chemical component development and fluid formulating.
What You Will Do:
Provide a depth and breadth of expertise to support multiple business units across Lubrizol.
- Apply knowledge of surface and materials science to a variety of business relevant problems. Provide experience to support the development of new fluid products and develop new fundamental understanding of how these fluids function. Be a company-wide consultant who can provide technical foresight in the area of surface science. Maintain knowledge of state-of-the art advancements and stay current with developments in the field of surface science capabilities. Apply and develop innovative methods to characterize Lubrizol products and develop fundamental knowledge on their performance. This may include the design and implementation of new capabilities for the testing of fluids.
- Show creativity to solve relevant technical problems by initiating own ideas and driving research projects from inception through completion.
Communicate and interact with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Communicate and interact with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders through technical reports, presentations, and 1-on-1 conversations. Can use inputs from a variety of sources, including internal stakeholders, market insights and external voice of customer to identify and convey the value of any technical research. Explain complex technical information to commercial teams and external customers. Builds relationships with technical counterparts at external companies including equipment manufacturers and customers. Spend time establishing a network of academic contacts and initiating relevant collaborative projects.
Provide project leadership on a range of technical projects
- Participates and/or lead cross-disciplinary teams to generate, organize, interpret, and report data in support of research projects. Understand the business drivers for the projects you are leading. Responsibilities will include linking and prioritising the various research projects in area of expertise. Generate, organize, interpret, and report data in support of research projects. May be expected to mentor / support / supervise placement students and University Ph.D. students.
- PhD in chemistry or relevant scientific discipline. Expertise and practical laboratory experience. Experience of Surface Science and Materials Analysis techniques including Electron microscopy (SEM and/or TEM) and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and/or Auger spectroscopy. Ability to apply a variety of techniques in a complementary manner to build an understanding of surface chemistries formed by complex fluids containing a variety of chemical components. Ability to generate an understanding of how individual chemical components and/or fluid conditions impact the formation of reacted chemical layers through well-designed experiments and model studies. Ability to link surface and bulk material properties to observed macroscale performance in applied testing. Knowledge of fundamental surface processes and phenomena, which can be relied upon to support experimental observations. Keenness to explore the relevance of new analytical techniques in providing Lubrizol with a competitive advantage. Good project management skills. Experience of managing multiple projects to tight deadlines. Good team working and interpersonal skills. Experience of managing stakeholder relationships. Good IT skills (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Chemdraw or equivalent) Considered a Plus: Experience of mentoring, supporting and / or supervising people would be desirable. Knowledge of advanced research techniques such as, Atomic force microscopy (AFM) in a variety of modes, Quartz crystal microbalance (QCM), Raman or infrared spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, X-ray computed tomography (lab-based or synchrotron), Nanoindentation. Knowledge of tribology, lubrication and relevant material/fluid interactions.