Chemist – Applied & Strategic Research
We are looking for a proactive and forward thinking Chemist to join our physical science team (Applied & Strategic Research) who will use their technical expertise to design experiments, conduct analysis, lead projects, and develop relationships with our business units.
The Applied & Strategic Research department at Lubrizol generates valuable structure and performance knowledge of our components and products, as well as providing timely technical services to our business groups and their customers.
Fundamental to our ethos is collaboration across our global scientific networks in support of current and emerging technologies. You will be working alongside junior members of the team on our apprentice programme, along with our chemists/research chemists, senior scientist, and technical fellows. This diverse talent pool offers opportunities for coaching and mentoring, continuous self-development through insights from recognised thought leaders.
A physical sciences background and practical laboratory experience would be an advantage.
Salary competitive dependent upon skills and experience, plus excellent benefits
This role is based at the European marketing and technical centre located in a rural setting at Hazelwood, eight miles from Derby City Centre, UK.
In this role you will:
- Be part of a creative research department working on a variety of projects across Industrial and Transportation applications.
- Have a high degree of autonomy to research, manage and implement agreed work programmes.
- Decide how projects should proceed using logic, experience and creativity to meet agreed timelines. May be assigned as Technical Leader for projects.
- Propose and develop your own ideas through corporate project funds.
- Design and carry out standard/non-standard experiments consistently.
- Document work and report results - oral/written.
- Present scientific data at internal stakeholder meetings and represent Lubrizol on Industry forums.
- Input into other areas of importance such as Sustainability and outreach activities.
- Support day-to-day running of the department – safety, tours, quality, continuous improvement.
To be successful you will need:
- BSc (preferably 1st or 2:1) or higher in chemistry or relevant scientific discipline.
- Expertise and practical laboratory experience.
- Ability to apply scientific understanding to experiment planning.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data to draw meaningful conclusions.
- Good project management skills. Experience of managing multiple projects to tight deadlines.
- Good team working and interpersonal skills. The ability to form lasting collaborative relationships with other scientists and business colleagues.
- Good IT skills (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Chemdraw or equivalent)
What Lubrizol can offer you: -
In return we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including healthcare, share incentive scheme, bonus and an excellent pension scheme as well as the opportunity to develop your career in a globally successful specialty chemical company.