Are you a Patent Scientist or PhD qualified scientist with a background in scientific communications looking for your next move?
We are currently looking for a Intellectual Property Lead to join an innovative and dynamic biotechnology company based in the Cambridgeshire area. The company has a strong environmental focus and are using their technology for the creation of products which are better for people and our planet.
This role is amendable to hybrid or remote working for the right individual.
As the Intellectual Property Lead you will be responsible for contributing to the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, perform freedom to operate and patentability searches and manage communications with, and help direct the activities of patent attorneys.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Your duties as the Intellectual Property Lead will be varied however the key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Work with the CSO, CEO and external patent attorneys to develop and implement the Company's intellectual property strategy.
2. Manage communications with and help direct the activities of outside counsel.
3. Assist in the preparation, filing and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications, including the preparation of arguments in response to office actions.
4. Work with R&D to identify and assess the patentability of new inventions; assist in drafting and reviewing related invention disclosures.
5. Review and prepare freedom-to-operate opinions in collaboration with outside counsel in relation to new product ideas and developments coming from the R&D group.
6. Provide periodic training to Company employees regarding the protection of intellectual property.
7. Maintain, update and set policies & systems for internal management of intellectual property.
8. Review and propose IP expenditure as part of the budgeting process. Manage IP budget.
8. Combine legal and technical knowledge with business understanding in order to provide high-level guidance.
9. Assist with corporate work and other tasks, including reviewing contract clauses related to IP rights and contribute to preparation of investor materials.
To be successful in your application to this exciting opportunity as the Intellectual Property Lead we are looking to identify the following on your profile and past history:
1. PhD in relevant field, eg, biotechnology, biochemistry, industrial biotechnology, plant biotechnology, bioorganic chemistry etc.
2. Experience in a laboratory setting with a developed understanding of empirical validation of scientific concepts as well as have a strong understanding of the scientific and technological fields
3. A desire to communicate scientific concepts and data in writing exemplified by having several 1st author scientific papers in high ranking journals and / or demonstrable experience in patent drafting.
Key Words: Intellectual property | Patent Scientist | Scientific communications | patent application
Hyper Recruitment Solutions Ltd (HRS) is an Equal Opportunities employer who are certified by Investors in People for talent development. We therefore welcome applications for any interested parties who fulfil the role requirements for this position. HRS is a company exclusively supporting the science and technology sectors, and is made up of a collaboration of recruitment professionals and scientists. We look forward to helping you with your next career moves.