The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) seeks a Public Engagement Specialist to join us on a temporary basis, to cover maternity leave. This is a great opportunity to apply your passion for science and develop your experience in engagement and outreach.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is a not-for-profit organisation with a thriving community of over 49,000 members in 125 countries, an internationally renowned publisher of high-quality chemical science knowledge and the professional body for chemists in the UK, with a reputation as an influential champion for the chemical sciences.
As a Public Engagement Specialist for the RSC, you will deliver flagship public engagement projects and programming activity, develop partnerships, and create public engagement opportunities for our community.
We are looking for:
- A science degree or equivalent.
- Knowledge of the public engagement and outreach landscape is essential, and a top-level understanding of how science can have a positive impact on social, political, and economic issues.
- Experience working in a complex environment to understand the needs and motivations of the scientific community to be involved in public engagement.
- Specialist knowledge and experience in customer relations and/or volunteer support is essential and knowledge of current trends in volunteerism is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), influencing and presentation skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people at all levels.
- Strong organisational and project management skills, proven ability to manage competing demands while still meeting deadlines.
The contractual base for this role is our Cambridge or London office, however we are currently embracing hybrid working, and therefore you will have the opportunity to work from a location other than this within the UK, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the office as needed for their role.
Visit our Work For Us website to learn more about us, our Equal Opportunities Statement and Inclusive Culture Pledge.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply before the end of our closing date.
Download the full job description here.