Tremendous investment in a UK-based hub of enzymatic routes to fine chemicals and pharmaceutical intermediates has led to a career-defining opportunity by way of a Head of Biotransformation position to be on-site in the North West England region. The Head of Biotransformation role is ideal for someone currently managing a small team of chemists or biologists involved in developing routes to value-add small molecules or proteins via non-petrochemical derived precursors. The successful appointment will likely be a prominent scientist looking to become a global leader in this area of interaction between biotechnology and "green" chemistry.
Your day to day duties as a Head of Biotransformation
- Developing the strategy around the company goals in terms of the global biotechnology hub
- Building a team of lab-based scientists to execute the strategy
- Research into new revenue streams and (bio)chemistry approaches
- Liaising internally and externally across global sites to promote (and patent) the science being developed in your labs
- Transfer of technology/processes to manufacturing scale
You will be an ideal candidate with this background:
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant (bio)chemistry field
- 5-10 years track record in using enzymes or microbes chemistry in the laboratory or on plant
- A good team-working approach
- The desire to develop leaders in the scientific field from graduates, PhD and post-docs, as well as recruiting from competitors
This client is already interviewing for the role so I would like you to apply immediately with a CV (Word document format, 2 pages maximum) so as to not miss out on the opportunity.
Note my client is unable to sponsor visas for those without eligibility to work in the UK. When choosing your scientific recruitment specialist, why should it be Dr Paul Mears, Head of Chemical recruitment, at Science Solutions?
The team I manage here focus solely on matching scientists to positions in the UK speciality chemical industry, and related areas such as drug discovery and agrochemicals, which is where my own experience and network position me best for clients and job seekers alike. Supplemented by a background working in the speciality chemicals and fragrance and flavours sectors, I completed academic studies with a PhD in organic chemistry at the University of Manchester, which came after graduating with a BSc at the University of Leeds' famous Colour & Polymer Chemistry department. Following a short post-doctoral research post I built up nearly seven years' experience in recruiting scientists into new jobs. Full references and testimonials of successful assignments such as Technical Directors, Heads of Operations and quick turnarounds for urgent laboratory needs can be found on my LinkedIn profile - search Paul Mears.