Executive Editor, Journals (Cambridge- and home-based hybrid working in the UK)
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Cambridge- and home-based hybrid working in the UK
- £52,191 - £57,990 per annum plus benefits
- Closing date
- 25 May 2022
- Contract Type
- Full Time, Part Time
- Accreditation Requirements
- Not specified
The Royal Society of Chemistry publishes 48 world-leading journals that span the core chemical sciences and related fields. Known for rigorous, fair peer review and fast publication times, our journals publish the best science, from original research articles to authoritative reviews. As a not-for-profit publisher, we reinvest surplus funds back into the global scientific community, supporting our mission to advance excellence in the chemical sciences.
We are seeking a highly motivated publishing professional with strong strategic acumen and excellent communication & interpersonal skills to lead our Inorganic journal team. The journals in the portfolio are Dalton Transactions, CrystEngComm and the New Journal of Chemistry. Compared to many other STM Executive Editor positions, this role at the RSC is at a senior level within the Journals department and has significant responsibilities. The incumbent will lead a team of 8 individuals (managing 4 direct reports) and will be responsible for leading, setting and implementing the strategy for the portfolio and the individual journal strategies within it. The successful candidate will have a high level of external contact with the relevant research communities and will use this market information to develop strategic priorities.
What you will be doing:
- Setting, developing and implementing the portfolio and individual journal strategies and delivering KPIs in terms of market share, quality, reputation and customer service.
- Developing the best authorship and readership for the journals, through networking, personal contact, commissioning, attendance at conferences, site visits and roadshows etc.
- Managing, leading and motivating a team, and a number of remunerated external Editors-in-Chief and Associate Editors.
- Building and managing relationships with relevant societies and divisions
We are looking for:
- Significant experience in STM journal publishing, including commissioning; an excellent understanding of the peer review process, editorial policy and marketing.
- A good honours degree in science (chemical sciences normally preferred).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Enthusiasm for open access and open science
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally and internationally.
- Up-to-date knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences.
- Previous experience with Editorial Boards.
- Contacts with the relevant communities.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we will support you in your career and reward your contribution with an excellent benefits package. If interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
This is a permanent full-time (35-hour week) position in Cambridge, covered by our hybrid working policy, and with extensive national and international travel.
The contractual base for this role is Cambridge, however we are currently embracing hybrid working, and therefore you will have the opportunity to work from a UK location other than this, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the offices as needed for their role.
For a full job description, please click here.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert