Join our thriving Tropic Team as a Senior Formulation Scientist: Makeup and Colour Care and lead the way in beauty that helps create a healthier, greener, more empowered world!
We are seeking a dedicated scientist with more than 10 years of experience in a wide range of makeup and colour care formulations to help us develop, test, and roll out fresh new formulations and products!
- Design and develop a wide range of colour care and makeup products such as lipsticks, mascaras, foundations, eyeliners etc.
- Design, develop and conduct methods for formulation/packaging testing.
- Shortlist ingredients through conducting thorough research across relevant media such as journals, conferences, meetings.
- Good record keeping skills on formulation development, testing and raw materials – these to be kept updated daily.
- Provide scaleup support to the manufacturing team, write methodologies and conduct pilot batches with our Manufacturing Team.
- Liaise with suppliers across the globe and internal Supply Chain Team for shortlisting, choosing ingredients and alternate ingredients.
- Roll out the colour care and makeup products from lab to customers with minimal assistance via various stages of the product development cycle.
- Liaise with Customer Support Team for post-launch surveillances
- Guide junior formulators, QC Team on product specifications and test wherever required.
- A degree in chemistry/cosmetic chemistry.
- A demonstrable background in formulating liquids, coatings or emulsions and colour matching would be highly desirable, preferably in the beauty / cosmetics or paint sector.
- More than 10 years experience in colour cosmetics and makeup formulation design, development and scaleup.
- In-depth knowledge and thorough understanding of raw materials used in makeup formulations and their characteristics.
- In-depth knowledge and thorough understanding of testing methods, equipment and machineries used in makeup formulation testing and manufacturing.
- In-depth knowledge of global regulation on makeup cosmetics ingredients and claims.
- Excellent knowledge of raw material suppliers across the globe.
- Significant understanding of GLP and GMP working environments.
- Bring a positive attitude to an already vibrant and enthusiastic team.
- Ability to use initiative to identify and solve potential errors during different stages of product roll-out in a formulation capacity.
- Full time role: 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.
- Office is conveniently located just 3 minutes’ walk from Beddington Lane Tram stop, which is connected to East Croydon and Wimbledon - both 20 minutes away. Approx. 30 min travel time from South West London, 35 mins from South London (Brixton, Stockwell etc.).
- Starting salary is subject to experience.
Healthier. Greener. More empowered – that’s the Infinite Purpose behind everything we do at Tropic, from funding education with every sale we make to all the plant-powered, sustainably sourced goodness we pack into our multi-award-winning, clinically proven skincare and beauty products. We're here to shake things up in this industry for good. Certified vegan, cruelty-free and CarbonNeutral®, we double offset our emissions, because when it comes to sparkling skin and a happier planet, we believe you really can have both!
Our founder and CEO, Susie, started out at just 15 years old, whipping up batches of our Body Smooth in her kitchen, pouring them into jam jars to sell on Greenwich Market to help her mum pay the bills. Flash forward a number of years and a whole lotta green science-backed skincare later, and Susie, with the help of an ever-growing team, has built a business that strives to make a positive impact… there’s just one thing we’re missing, you!
By joining our team, you’ll become part of a dynamic, diverse and talented troupe, with a big family feel to boot! So, if you’re a skincare and planet enthusiast like we all are, believe in doing good beyond beauty and want to shake things up too, come and join our colourful crew – we can’t wait to meet you!