Postdoc (f/m/d) in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
for Modeling and Design of Large-Scale Solar Water Splitting Device
Reference No.: CE 2021/18
The Institute for Solar Fuels at HZB develops new materials and devices for the (photo)electrochemical conversion of cheap and abundant resources, such as water and CO2, to chemical fuels. We use advanced thin film deposition techniques to fabricate semiconducting light absorbers, catalysts, and passivation layers. Our characterization methods include photoelectrochemistry, time-resolved spectroscopy, and a variety of surface science techniques. In addition, we use modeling and simulation tools to identify and solve performance bottlenecks when scaling up (photo)electrochemical devices.
We seek a highly motivated postdoc to strengthen an ambitious multi-partner project on the demonstration of highly efficient large-scale III-V tandem devices for solar water splitting.
- Develop and validate multiphysics models for scalable device designs of photoelectrochemical water splitting
- Investigate scale-up related losses in the various designs and explore strategies to overcome them
- Identify the most scalable device design with minimal performance loss and fabricate prototype/demonstration devices
- Initiate and participate in collaborative efforts with our project partners
- Publish the results in peer-reviewed journals and at (inter)national conferences
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Demonstrated expertise in multiphysics modeling of multiphase flow phenomena
- Solid understanding of mass-transport in (photo)electrochemical processes
- Extensive experience with reactor engineering and design
- Hands-on attitude, team player mentality, excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- You will be part of an international, multifaceted research organization that provides access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and promotes networking and exchange within the Helmholtz Association and beyond
- Postdoc office that supports you in achieving your career goals
- Work-life balance flexible working hours, mobile working,
- Opportunities for professional development through in-house and external programs
- Health management and company sports facilities
Please upload the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter (in English) describing your background and research interests relevant to the position
- Curriculum vitae (CV) listing your education, publications, research experience, and contact details for two references
Fixed term contract for 12 months with the possibility for extension up to 36 months following a good evaluation. Payment is made in accordance with the Collective Agreement for German Public Service (TVöD-Bund). We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
Fixed term contract for 12 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 30.11.2021. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) investigates and develops materials for a sustainable energy supply of the future. For this purpose, we operate the synchrotron facility BESSY II as well as several core labs for investigating materials. BESSY II attracts users from all over the world with its unique experimental facilities. With approx. 1,200 employees, HZB is today one of the largest non-university research centres in Berlin. More information: www.helmholtz-berlin.de
SCIENCE + CAREER + DIVERSITY = HZB
... is the formula for our successful human resources policy. We offer wide-ranging internal and external qualification opportunities for our employees, including special support for junior scientists. Our family-friendly workplace policy includes flexible working hours and telework arrangements. HZB values diversity as driver for successful scientific collaborative work and promotes a supportive working atmosphere for people from all backgrounds.
CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Dr. Fatwa Abdi
+49 30 8062 - 42927