Manufacturing Chemist – Cambridge – UK
Illumina is a global leader in genomics – an industry at the intersection of Biology and Technology. At the most fundamental level, we enable our customers to read and understand genetic variations. We strive to make our solutions increasingly simple, more accessible, and always reliable. As a result, discoveries that were unimaginable even a few years ago are now becoming routine and are making their way into patient treatment.
Over the last few years, Illumina has experienced rapid expansion therefore we are looking to hire multiple Manufacturing Chemists of all levels to support a brand-new project based at our UK headquarters here in Cambridge, UK.
To be successful in these Manufacturing Chemist roles you will have some, to considerable years’ experience in manufacturing chemistry. Ideal candidate will have a Synthetic Organic Chemistry background and understanding of working in GMP regulated environment. Experience working in a new manufacturing set up would be an advantage but not required. You will be driven and passionate about what you do, collaborative in your style along with working on your own, a great communicator with a real passion for our mission, improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome.
We are looking for highly motivated and team-oriented Manufacturing Chemists with experience in organic synthesis to join our Nucleoside Manufacturing Group. The candidate must have a strong understanding of purification and analytical techniques used in the organic molecular manufacture. The candidate should have some, to considerable experience of chemistry bench work using synthetic processes.
- Synthesize complex organic molecules per established protocols
- Purification and analysis of complex organic molecules
- Analytical instrument setup, sample preparation, run execution and data analysis
- Operate in compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements
- Work with cross-site and cross-functional teams in R&D, EH&S, Quality Assurance, and Manufacturing Engineering
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to assess safety and quality risks and drive improvements where appropriate
- Perform safety and quality inspections through an established 6S program
- Operate equipment and conduct tasks in a safe manner, adhering to established guidelines and applicable regulations under a GMP and ISO13485 environment.
- Some to considerable experience in synthetic chemistry processes, purification and QC analysis of organic molecules
- Demonstrated ability to follow established protocols in the production of complex organic molecules
- Solid technical knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, experience with general analytical methods used for organic chemistry (particularly HPLC), manufacturing processes, and manufacturing execution systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Basic understanding of equipment/instrument upkeep, calibration, and maintenance policies
- Experience working under a QMS or familiarity with GMP, ISO 9001 or ISO 13485 manufacturing standards
- Working knowledge of MRP and ERP systems with experience using SAP preferred
- Experience in lean manufacturing and continuous improvement methodologies preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry required, with specialization in synthetic or analytical chemistry preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and some related experience required; or an advanced degree without experience
What can you expect
With Illumina you can expect a highly competitive salary accompanied by a market leading benefits package. You will be part of the global leader in the Sequencing industry where you will find robust growth opportunities and career development within Illumina.
Our team members are bright, energetic and dedicated - they are the driving force behind our innovation and impact. To attract the best and brightest, we offer a competitive employee benefits program. We view it as a smart investment in our people, one that recognizes the tremendous value they bring to our business every day. At Illumina, we push boundaries. We think beyond the conventional. We dream big. With the energy of so many bright and accomplished people, the opportunities are endless.