Scientist 1 (maternity cover) 12 month fixed term contract– UK
We are looking for a Synthetic Chemist to join our Chemistry Product Development team at Illumina Cambridge. The role will involve developing the components and processes that underpin the key chemistries used in Illumina’s sequencing-by-synthesis (SBS) technology.
The Chemistry Product Development team at Illumina Cambridge are a team of synthetic and analytical chemists with a broad range of skills and experience that make a unique contribution to Illumina’s Core Consumables Development group. The team works in a highly multidisciplinary project environment on delivering the chemistry components of Illumina’s DNA sequencing systems.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of Illumina’s continued growth.
The majority of your time will be spent in the Product Development laboratories at the Illumina Centre, Granta Park. Typically, your work will entail the development of novel small molecules for use in a variety of aspects of Illumina SBS chemistry workflows. The work is innovative and varied – tasks will range from synthesis, purification and analytical development through to process optimisation, product scale up and transfer to manufacturing facilities. You will have many opportunities to further develop your skill set within this role.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to
- Developing and evaluating new synthetic chemistry procedures and manufacturing processes
- Improving existing synthetic chemistry processes
- Developing and testing new chemical components and reagent systems
- Process scale-up and transfer from R&D to manufacturing operations, internal and external
- Providing support for internal and external manufacturing operations
- Developing analytical procedures for new products and processes
- Written and verbal communication of plans, procedures and results
- Liaise with other functions and sites as required
Qualifications, Experience & Attributes Required
- PhD in Chemistry / Biochemistry or equivalent chemical sciences qualification
- Experience in industry an advantage
- Strong theoretical and practical chemistry skills – knowledge or skills in nucleic acid / DNA chemistry desirable
- Good knowledge of modern preparative chromatography methods
- Good knowledge of modern analytical methods (HPLC, Mass Spec and NMR)
- Experience of using Next Generation Sequencing technologies an advantage, but not essential
- Experience with DoE / Statistical modelling methods & software packages an advantage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What can you expect
The role would be suitable for a skilled chemist who may have experience within the Biotechnology / Life Sciences industry. The successful applicant should be self-motivated and able to produce results to a deadline. You will work as part of a highly efficient, collaborative team. Should you be looking for innovative and varied projects within new product development phases, this role could be right for you.
- A highly competitive salary
- Market leading benefits package
- Being part of the global leader in the Sequencing industry
- Robust growth opportunities within Illumina