We are currently looking for a Head of Scientific Support and Development to join a growing life sciences company based in the Bedfordshire area.
As the Head of Scientific Support and Development you will be responsible for the development, validation, verification, quality assurance and other scientific support. Managing the process for validation of all reagents, consumables, instruments and processes used across all Labs. Working with the Operations Managers of Laboratories, Heads of Biomedical Scientists and Technical Services ensure the efficient operation and development of their outputs.
Oversight of the development and maintenance of all ISO standards in conjunction with the quality management team. The Head of Scientific Support and Development will also work with the business development team in whatever capacity needed to win and develop new business.
The Head of Scientific Support and Development will assess and horizon-scan new technologies in the marketplace to make suitable recommendations to the Executive Management Team for the investment in new capabilities.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Your duties as the Head of Scientific Support and Development will be varied however the key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Leading a team of experience scientists and technicians to deliver validation & verification, troubleshooting, writing scientific reports and scientific support to other parts of the organisation. Building a team of scientist to align with the validation & verification, quality assurance, troubleshooting, new development and growth of the company.
2. Liaising with the informatics team to develop data monitoring and statistical models for trend analysis, data monitoring of current process.
3. Managing Scientific Support and Development and personal workloads and/ outputs across multiple projects with competing priorities and resources. Develop, implement, and monitor new process and assays that are in line with company's business activities. Including working with Informatics, Quality, Technical Services, Biomedical Scientists and Lab Operations to develop end to end process and deploy it to live operations, ensuring that all training materials, methods and validations are in place.
4. Develop and perform pilot studies as required by collaborators. Liaising with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Laboratory Director to establish and agree on scientific development specifically through assessing opportunities from, and the impact of, new scientific developments in areas important to the company's business activities.
5. Lead and manage the company's scientific research and development work and to propose direction, as appropriate, focusing on continuing improvement to the current processes and propose new scientific opportunities.
6. Responsible for ensuring all lab process and associated documentation are fit for purpose from a scientific perspective.
7. Working in conjunction with the Quality Department to establish and maintain a quality-focused culture within the laboratories.
To be successful in your application to this exciting opportunity as the Head of Scientific Support and Development we are looking to identify the following on your profile and past history:
1. PhD in a relevant Scientific discipline, eg. Biomedical Science, Virology, Bioinformatics, etc.
2. Proven industry experience with high throughput molecular biology automation. You will also need to demonstrate experience designing, optimising and troubleshooting DNA/RNA extraction and quantification, PCR, qPCR and other molecular biology processes.
3. Extensive experience in leadership and people management roles. You will also have the ability to coach and mentor less experienced members of staff, manage stakeholders and influence senior members of staff.
Key Words: Head of Development | Head of Department | Molecular Biology | Virology | Biomedical Science
Hyper Recruitment Solutions Ltd (HRS) is an Equal Opportunities employer who are certified by Investors in People for talent development. We therefore welcome applications for any interested parties who fulfil the role requirements for this position. HRS is a company exclusively supporting the science and technology sectors, and is made up of a collaboration of recruitment professionals and scientists. We look forward to helping you with your next career moves.