LSF R&D Laboratory Manager
A laboratory manager is required to expand and operate LSFs inhouse lab supporting the successful operation of the LSF Pilot Unit and the testing/analysis of key feedstocks such as used oils, industrial rubber (including used vehicle tyres) and used plastics and the products derived from the Pilot Unit operation.
You will be directly involved in a variety of laboratory investigations based around our Fast Electrochemical Process (FEP) which can include sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysing results as part of the LSF team. Your job is to provide all the required laboratory and technical support to enable the LSF pilot unit to function effectively, while adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines.
The company has a strong environmental ethos and the work we do is aimed at re-using materials that are usually disposed of inappropriately, causing significant environmental damage.
Your work will assist in the further development of a new and advanced patented process which recovers hydrocarbons from various raw materials and converts them into a range of valuable chemical distillates to produce new plastics for chemical refineries or clean low sulphur marine fuels and refinery grade Naphtha.
Purpose of the Role
The nature of this work will require you to:
- Managing the day-to-day running, planning and operation of the laboratory.
- Perform laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations
- Standardising laboratory procedures, to ensure sample and test reproducibility and repeatability.
- Ensure lab equipment are kept in a clean and serviceable condition and ensure the safe removal of waste
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced and that everything is clearly and correctly labelled
- Carry out routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses
- Prepare test specimens and samples
- Record, and sometimes interpret, results to present to other colleagues
- Keep up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability
- Conduct searches on identified topics relevant to the research
- Follow and ensure strict HSE safety procedures and safety checks.
- Have used LIMS systems for sample management, operation and customer billing
You will need to have:
- the ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
- the ability to maintain and calibrate technical equipment
- time management skills to work to deliver time critical projects on time
- flexibility in order to work with and provide support for a number of people
- excellent oral communication skills in order to work effectively with colleagues from all parts of the organisation and to explain complex techniques to interested parties
- experience in providing demonstrations and writing technical reports
- teamwork skills and patience with an attention to detail.
- You will also need excellent record-keeping skills, as well as good maths and computer literacy and competency.
Indicative typically range from £30,000 to £40,000 depending on your qualifications.
The working week is usually 37 hours with some flexibility in hours of work to accommodate individual travel circumstances.
It is expected that candidate will have a BSc, PhD or similar in an appropriate subject such as Chemistry, organic chemistry preferably, environmental science, materials science/technology or an allied subject.
In addition to the required qualification, candidates will be able to demonstrate a successful career so far, ideally in a laboratory environment or research facility and be entirely familiar with laboratory procedures and requirements. An experienced laboratory lead or manager, ideally with laboratory design and operation experience too.
Unit 5a, Corinium Industrial Estate, Raans Road, Amersham, Bucks HP6 6FB
Keywords: organic chemistry, materials science, spectroscopy, independent research, XRF, technical writing, testing and investigation, analytical
Apply for LSF R&D Laboratory Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly