We are seeking a creative and highly-motivated Data Scientist with a background in Chemistry to join the Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre (CCDC) to help generate novel insights from the world’s most comprehensive collection of experimental structural chemistry data. The successful candidate will design and develop workflows and scripts that combine data from the Cambridge Structural Database (CSD) and other chemistry resources with established and emerging data science platforms and methodologies.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A chemistry background (good undergraduate degree or PhD) with a passion for structural chemistry;
- Ability to derive novel insights from large chemical data resources;
- Familiarity with systems and tools used to represent, manipulate and link chemistry data;
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Python) and workflow technologies (e.g. KNIME);
- Interest in applying machine learning methods to generate novel insights from scientific data;
- Ability to use initiative to develop new ideas and promote these to diverse audiences;
- Interest in the application of semantic ontologies to improve interoperability across scientific resources.
This position will be based at the CCDC’s offices in Cambridge UK, although flexible working arrangements will be considered. You will join a diverse organisation where you will work closely with data curators, scientists and software developers, ensuring that you have the wider support network available to achieve your goals.