AWE is currently recruiting for a Criticality Scientist to provide criticality safety assessments/determinations and specialised expert support and advice in support of company programmes.
The hiring manager is willing to consider applications from individuals looking for more senior criticality opportunities too.
Location - Reading area
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
- To review, learn and improve with the customer on completion of each activity to identify potential improvements to the delivery of the criticality safety capability
- Conduct criticality safety assessments as 1st Assessor
- Conduct reviews of criticality safety assessments as checker and reviewer
- Support external activities as required as part of the Critical Safety Authority Outreach and Science Programme, i.e. through presentations to external conferences/symposia
- Scheduling of activities to ensure delivery to agreed dates
- Provide specialist criticality safety support to the company's Emergency Response requirement (On call capability and planning/exercises)
To be considered for this role, you'll need:
- A degree in scientific or STEM discipline, equivalent NQF level 6 qualification or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of nuclear physics and the physics of criticality
- Knowledge of fissile material processes and operations
- Good knowledge of the requirements of fissile operations within a Nuclear Licensed Site
- An understanding of the requirements and process for the development of a nuclear safety case
- Experience of using Windows and UNIX and appropriate software programmes
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.