Regional Publishing, Japan
A fantastic opportunity has come up to join a leading scientific publisher! We are seeking a Regional Publisher, Japan to be the key representative for the Royal Society of Chemistry’s publishing activities in Japan and expansion into South Korea, developing and implementing our strategic objectives.
This role will be the leading role in the Royal Society of Chemistry’s presence in Japan, and will line manager two members of staff. As the Regional Publisher, you will work very closely with the Publishing team in the UK and liaise regularly with other international offices.
This role demands a proactive publishing professional with strong strategic acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Your objectives will be to develop and maintain an exceptionally influential network of contacts within the Japanese chemical science community and manage this network to increase the awareness and impact of the Royal Society of Chemistry’s publishing activities. This role will also work closely with our sales and marketing colleagues to help increase the sales penetration and usage of our products in Japan.
This position is located at our office in Tokyo, Japan, with national and international travel for conference attendance, site visits and meetings.
We are looking for:
ESSENTIAL SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Higher degree or PhD in science (chemical science normally preferred) or equivalent
- Work experience – this could include:
- Scientific research (for government, academic or corporate organisations)
- Scientific society officer (for example as a community engagement officer or events experience)
- Academia at Assistant Professor or Professor level
- STM publishing (for example as an editor, community engagement officer, events experience)
- Excellent communication, networking and interpersonal skills
- Contacts with the relevant communities
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally
- Up-to-date knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences
- Fluent in Japanese and English, both written and spoken
DESIRABLE SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in or knowledge of STM publishing
- Thorough understanding of the Japanese education system
The Royal Society of Chemistry publishes 45 peer-reviewed journals, more than 1,500 print books and a collection of online databases and literature updating services.
Our international publishing portfolio covers the core chemical sciences including related fields such as chemical biology, energy, environment, engineering, materials, medicine and physics.
As a not-for-profit publisher, we reinvest surplus funds back into the global scientific community, supporting our mission to advance excellence in the chemical sciences.
If you would like to join us, please apply before the closing date.
Download the full job description here.