Fibers Innovation Manager
Polymateria’s mission is to tackle the global crisis of fugitive plastic waste, reducing towards zero its impact on the natural
environment. Based on the White City Campus of Imperial College in London’s i-Hub, Polymateria has invested heavily in
R&D over the last few years to set new standards for biodegradable plastic and is now looking to scale up its operations.
About the Function
Polymateria is looking to hire a Fibers Innovation Manager with experience working in a fast-paced innovation environment.
The potential candidate will be responsible for managing and growing the company’s existing network of polyolefin-based
fiber products across multiple business partnerships. The role will have a particular emphasis on being able to lead the
deployment, development and implementation of new technologies within multiple types of fiber extrusion processes in
partnership the company’s clients. The candidate will report to the SVP of Innovations.
The ideal candidate needs to be very well organised, gregarious, and a willingness to engage with both scientists, engineers
and business partners. In addition, the following qualifications and / or skills are required:
• Strong and practical experience of polyolefin fiber extrusion process and post-production fiber treatments is
essential. Practical experience of polyester fiber extrusion is desirable.
• Proven experience of project and people management, organisation and delivery to deadlines in an applicative
project or in an industrial project is essential.
• Proven experience of managing work-stream and multiple projects simultaneously, including effective methods of
presenting and planning of projects is essential.
• Minimum educational requirement: Degree or masters polymer science/engineering is essential. A PhD in a related
field is preferred but not essential.
• Very strong communication skills, both orally and in written format is essential.
• Multiple language skills are highly desirable but not essential, however, the ability to communicate with clients
and collaborators inside and outside of the UK in a clear and effective manner is necessary.
• A clean driving licence and the willingness to travel is essential.
• Knowledge of the polymer industry and / or polymer degradation and biodegradation processes is a plus but not
As Fibers Innovation Manager, you would work specifically on the development of programs to:
• Be the key technical contact, forming a bridge between technical teams on the client’s side and on Polymateria’s
side, to trouble-shoot, liaise and build long-term collaborative relationships.
• Manage all aspects of trials and testing, from selection and deployment of technology (including being on-site for
client product trials), through to management of testing schedules and reporting out on test results.
• Identify key material and technology partnerships which align to Polymateria’s fiber R&D and commercial
• Underpin these partnerships with realistic plans both for internal and client exploitation on timelines, resources
and budgets needed to undertake development projects.
• Highlight and identify areas of risk to successful or prolonged completion of projects.
• Proactively look to frame and develop new ideas in collaboration with the SVP of Innovations, with a view to
pitching innovative solutions to current client / market demands, whilst equally being aware of material flow and
Salary - Salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a one-page covering letter with how you believe you meet the criteria to email@example.com before
midnight on 25th June 2021.
Please watch the following link for an insight into working at Polymateria