Technical Adviser and Technical Manager vacancies
Who we are looking for:
Sellafield Ltd is recruiting to fill a range of Technical Adviser and Technical Manager vacancies.
The successful candidates will join one of our multi-disciplinary Technical Teams, working on some of the most innovative and complex plants and projects in the nuclear industry. We are looking for applicants with qualifications and delivery experience in a broad range of STEM areas. The majority of the roles will be based in operations facing Technical teams, ensuring the plants and projects are fully technically underpinned and compliant with all relevant regulatory requirements. We also have a small number of roles in other supporting Technical areas, including technology development and innovation.
About the roles:
The majority of the Technical Advisers undertake technical advisory and direct support roles to every major operating plant on site; they support projects to retrieve historic wastes, to clean up and decommission old facilities, and to create new facilities that will support Sellafield’s mission to create a clean and safe environment.
Others will help to manage chemical safety, support knowledge and information management,or help to develop the processes that guide how the technical community works.
The Technical Managers are tasked with ensuring that our plants, operational processes and research programmes are technically underpinned.
- Lead and manage teams that scope and implement practical science and technology solutions.
- Manage a portfolio of technical and development work to underpin Sellafield’s on going and future operations.
- Provide support to interactions with external agencies including customers, regulators and Government bodies.
- Manage identification and implementation of opportunities for reducing the lifetime costs of operating and decommissioning Sellafield’s range of complex and hazardous facilities.
To thrive in the roles you will need:
For all roles:
- A degree qualification in one of the following STEM disciplines: chemistry; physics; materials / metallurgy; mechanical engineering / mechatronics / AI; maths / statistics / business analytics; chemical / process engineering; environmental science.
- Extensive relevant experience in a technical, engineering or operational role.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including preparation of technical reports.
- Good influencing and stakeholder management skills, with a proven ability to influence a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Good analytical thinking skills, with experience of solving novel and challenging technical issues.
- Ability to plan for small packages of technical work.
- Computer literacy, including a working knowledge of standard Microsoft Office suite of programs.
In addition, for Technical Manager roles you will also have:
- Experience of leadership in a relevant discipline.
- Experience in managing studies or technical work programmes within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to influence senior managers and external stakeholders (including customers and regulators).
- Good project management and financial control skills.
- Ability to maintain a strong connection between your technical area and the business environment, balancing priorities according to business need.
For all roles you may also have:
- Masters degree (or equivalent) and Postgraduate qualifications in one of the STEM disciplines listed above.
- Chartership in a relevant STEM professional body.
- An ability to deal with conflicting company priorities, and resource limited specialist teams.
- Evidence of building, maintaining and using effective networks.
- Current knowledge of legislative, regulatory and other requirements relevant to the nuclear industry and the company.
- Experience and knowledge of SL operations, plants and processes.
- Knowledge of SL systems, equipment and procedures.
Salary: £38,801 to £52,240 Depending on roles, skills, qualifications and experience.
Closing date: 1/2/2021
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
In promoting equal opportunities, Sellafield Ltd welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post, including assessment or interview invitations and any other type of correspondence relating to your application. In the event of a high number of responses to any advert, Sellafield Ltd reserves the right to close the advert early.