Team Leader- CatLab
Vacancy: Team Leader- CatLab
Job Family: R&D.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 13,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health, but that’s not enough. We have ambitious plans for growth and need talented individuals to help shape and lead us into our next century.
We are recruiting for a Team Leader to manage a newly built Kg laboratory in our Life Sciences Technology (LST) Cambridge facilities (‘CatLab’). In this role you would be responsible for developing and manufacturing complex homogeneous catalysts products, while providing a leading role in process safety.
- Responsible for managing and running a Kg Lab facility (CatLab: 20-100L reactors):
- the installation and commissioning of equipment
- supervision of contractors and maintenance
- planning and project managing the production of multi-Kg scale complex ligands and transition metal complexes for supply to customers
- Working hands-on in CatLab and lead the Team to deliver research samples and samples of commercial products to agreed specifications and timelines;
- Manage and motivate the team and developing a collaborative working relationship with all internal and exteral stakeholders.
- Lead process development of new and existing manufacturing processes to Kg scale for the commercial manufacturing of small volume, high value organometallic products, including hands-on laboratory work and analytical work and ensuring full documentation is complete.
- Lead process safety to transfer laboratory scale processes to the KgLab facility (CatLab) or to other facilities or external partners, ensuring full compliance with JM standards, promoting a culture of safety and mentoring the other members of the group in process safety, linking with wider JM resources.
Are you the ideal candidate?
You will have / be:
- A degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrable industrial experience working in a Kg Lab or pilot plant
- Proficient in process safety and demonstrate an active awareness and commitment to Health & Safety standards with the ability to run process risk and other hazard evaluations and risk mitigation techniques advantageous
- Experience managing or supervising a technical team with the ability to develop and motivate team members to attain successful outcomes and business objectives
- Ability to plan and execute laboratory work to meet deadlines
- Demonstrate excellent organisational and laboratory housekeeping skills
- Experience in complex organic synthesis and handling of air sensitive compounds on Kg scale is highly desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain collaborative working relationships
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex technical information to make business recommendations
How to apply:
If you would like to apply please complete an online application. For more information, please contact UKrecruit@matthey.com.