Apprentice Technician Scientist (Chemical Science)
As an apprentice technician scientist, you’ll be carrying out experimentation, laboratory investigations and production activities within Sixfold’s advanced therapies team. You’ll learn to master in demand skill sets that will place you at the forefront of one of the fastest growing industries in the UK: Cell and Gene therapy.
£182.00 - £348.80
Monday - Friday. Shifts TBC
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
23 Feb 2021
09 Dec 2020
Level 5 (Higher national Diploma)
Sixfold Bioscience is an award winning start up looking to radically change how we treat disease. As a Technician Scientist specialising in the chemistry and manufacture of gene therapies you will form a crucial part of our R&D team.
This is an extremely exciting opportunity to join us as we enter a promising phase of pre-clinical development.
- You’ll be exposed to how to undertake research in a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary and dynamic team environment
- You’ll learn advanced technical skills that are in high demand in the rapidly growing field of Cell and Gene therapy
- You’ll be responsible for supporting our passionate R&D team
- You’ll help in preparing, maintaining and carrying out cutting-edge experiments, as well as ensure the laboratory is running efficiently
- Should you excel, we’ll provide you with the scope to pursue your own research interests to help validate and/or improve our core technology. Importantly, you’ll be given a platform to share your ideas and suggestions as an equal member of the team
Requirements and prospects
No previous work experience is required for this role but a strong motivation to work in the industry of Advanced Therapies must be shown.
- Team working skills
- Good humour and plenty of energy
- Able to work under pressure to meet Sixfolds deadlines
- Trustworthy and dependable
- Have a passion for science and learning
- Team oriented
For entry to the Technician Scientist (Level 5) apprenticeship you must have a total of 80 UCAS points including preferably a B in A-Level Chemsitry or equivalent. Alternative experience and qualifications will be considered.
You’ll be building a network with your peers as part of this prestigious program. At the apprenticeship you’ll have earned a FdSc degree in Chemical Science, setting you up for an exciting scientific career
Things to consider
It’s important to mention that although disease affects us all, our industry still displays a huge lack of diversity — this needs to change. Our founding team is composed of many different nationalities, cultures and is 2/3rds female founders. Our goal is to create a company culture that promotes ideas and the inclusion of team members from all backgrounds.
That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are — your gender, race, sexuality, religion or your secret aversion to cucumber water.
We actively encourage members from any background to apply.
About the employer
We founded Sixfold to tackle the biggest challenge in healthcare: how to safely deliver therapeutics to diseased cells. Motivated by the impact our technology could make, we’ve been working hard in the lab and are now looking for an apprentice laboratory technician to help increase the efficiency of our preclinical development.
We’re proud of the company we’ve built and our team is Sixfold’s biggest competitive advantage. Our team is creative and iterates fast because they want to see their work make a difference in the clinic. If you want to help cure the incurable, you belong with us.
Sixfold Bioscience Ltd
The Imperial College White City
Training Training provider
THE UNIVERSITY OF KENT
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by THE UNIVERSITY OF KENT
Contact Betty Johnson 07921 487652 B.Johnson@kent.ac.uk
Level 5 Technician Scientist
You’ll be part of a dynamic cohort of ATAC apprentices who are focusing on research, development or commercial manufacture of ATMPs. You’ll be building a network with your peers as part of this prestigious program. At the apprenticeship you’ll have earned a FdSc degree in Chemical Science, setting you up for an exciting scientific career!
Specifically, you’ll be given training and support within the rapidly growing field of Cell and Gene therapies. Skills in this area are in high demand in the UK and globally. We undertake a very diverse range of research, however, you’ll get experience in:
- Oligonucleotide chemistry and synthesis
- Synthesis/ Manufacture of RNA based therapeutics
- How to maintain effective laboratory records
- The use and maintenance of highly technical machinery and equipment
- How to manage a laboratory and complex projects, including: ordering materials, cleaning, health and safety procedures, etc.
- How to design and execute experiments
- Presentation and networking skills
During your apprenticeship, you’ll:
- Perform laboratory investigations using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods relevant to the development of Cell and Gene Therapies.
- Perform controlled cleaning of laboratories and specialised equipment
- Design experiments, report results and the accurate recording of technical data in accordance with good practice and approved Standard Operating Procedures.
- Operate and maintain highly technical equipment, including but not limited to gel electrophoresis, GlenPak, Nanodrop, analytical PAGE, HPLC, oligo synthesiser, laminar air flow cabinets and centrifuges.
- Communicate with a wide range of scientific and non-scientific stakeholders externally and within Sixfold.
- Help in the ordering of scientific materials
- Assist in sample preparation
- Maintain cell cultures
Apprenticeship standard Technician Scientist
Level 5 (Higher national Diploma)