Junior Scientist Internship
1 day left
- Full Time
Keracol is looking to expand its research team and wish to recruit an enthusiastic candidate to join us as a Junior Scientist Intern.
The successful candidate would be required to assist in the development of Keracol’s ingredients and formulations for commercial application, primarily hair care and skin care products. The role will cover a wide variety of laboratory work activities, ranging from small-scale experiments, analysis and performance evaluation to supporting and assisting commercial production. The post is a full-time 6-month RSC-funded internship and could lead to a permanent position.
Keracol Limited is a spin-out company from The University of Leeds. The core value of our company and our products is sustainability with performance. We combine high-end physical science with innovative consumer product applications. Our expertise spans in organic chemistry, colour chemistry, polymer chemistry, extraction technology, effect assessment, coloration technology, and natural products chemistry.
Keracol develops novel approaches to the extraction of active molecules from plant sources, and fractionating and purifying them for multiple applications, both existing and novel. We use renewable materials and waste materials as sources of extracts, and are able to produce extracts from raw materials that do not compete with land for food crops.
Our extracts are effectively applied in consumer products in areas such as hair coloration, hair care, skin care, and food and beverage coloration, providing solutions to unmet needs, where there is huge consumer demand for products containing natural and renewable ingredients.
We work with multinational partners on research projects and products and Keracol also has its own cosmetics brand, Dr. Craft (drcraft.co.uk) which was launched in 2018.
The successful candidate should have the ability to work pro-actively as an individual and within our small team. The candidate must hold an appropriate science based degree, preferably in chemistry, material/colour science, cosmetic science, or related discipline. You will have strong communication skills and an ability to contribute to several projects in parallel and prioritise tasks.
It is imperative that the candidate is detailed oriented and driven to ensure quality in all their work. It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to write reports based on the experiments they have carried out, and to present them in an appropriate manner.
Work experience is not essential as full training and guidance will be provided.
Keracol is a small but growing business, as the business expands our hope is reward the loyalty of employees with excellent opportunities within the company. The position is offered with a comfortable work environment. You will be located in our laboratory in Nexus (nexusleeds.co.uk) a new £40m state-of-the-art building located on The University of Leeds campus.
Salary will be £20,000 per annum pro rata initially to be reviewed if the position becomes permanent.
The successful candidate will also receive one years’ free Royal Society of Chemistry membership.
Informal enquiries may be made to: Dr Meryem Benohoud, Technical Director, 0113 306 1386.
Closing date 5pm on Monday 30th November 2020 although early applications are welcomed.
Applications should include a full CV and covering letter explaining how you meet the person specification. They should be sent to email@example.com before the closing date.
Responsible to: Dr Meryem Benohoud, Technical Director, Keracol Limited.
- Supporting the optimisation of processes ranging from plant material extraction to building new formulations.
- Supporting the development, testing and data analysis.
- Formulating cosmetic products.
- Testing stability and performance of the ingredients in formulations for cosmetic products.
- Contribute with the design and verification of quality control measures.
- Liaising with members of the team, critically interpret experimental data and identify quality improvement opportunities.
- BSc or Masters degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate science based degree, preferably in chemistry, material/colour science, cosmetic science, or related discipline.
- Willingness to adapt and learn new skills of relevance to the position.
- Knowledge of safety procedures, e.g. COSHH and risk assessments.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to communicate results of research effectively, through oral and written media to a high standard.
- Experience in the use of advanced analytical techniques, including HPLC, LC-MS, NMR, SPE, UV-Vis, FT-IR, MS.
- Potential to be innovative, and generate and deliver on new ideas.
- Experience of dyeing methods and relevant analytical methods.
- Experience of working as a team.
- Experience in natural product extraction, purification, separation and characterisation technologies.
- Experience in cosmetic formulation and product design.
- An awareness and/or experience in commercialisation of scientific research.
- Experience of working in a commercial environment.
- Experience of working in the Personal/Consumer Care sectors.
- Experience in the use of sustainable technologies & green chemistry.
- Knowledge of formulation chemistry in Personal Care and/or Consumer products.
Apply for Junior Scientist Internship
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly