(Senior) Scientist Discovery Chemistry
Janssen Research & Development seeks to bring innovative and effective treatments in therapeutic areas of high unmet medical needs. The Janssen campus in Beerse, close to Antwerp, (Belgium) has a unique ecosystem covering the complete drug development life cycle, with all capabilities from basic science to market access on one campus. Our discovery chemistry group focusses on developing innovative small molecule therapeutics to treat diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
In order to further strengthen the scientific teams working on our small molecules portfolio, we are recruiting scientists at various seniority levels and with differentiated expertise.
The medicinal chemistry team designs and synthesizes novel molecules as potential drug candidates and work closely together with colleagues from the associated biology teams and with several internal and external partners aiming to progress the most innovative science. The work will involve designing and executing challenging multi-step organic synthesis, compound purification and structure determination, maintaining state-of-the art scientific knowledge as well as originating and defending novel ideas in new and ongoing projects. The position will also offer the opportunity to examine and interpret pharmacological data as part of building Structure-Activity Relationships (SAR) and to optimize drug-like properties towards identifying high quality drug candidates.
The analytical chemistry team supports the medicinal chemistry team with modern analytical technologies, including gas, liquid and supercritical fluid chromatography hyphenated with mass spectrometry (GC-MS, UPLC-MS, SFC-MS), nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR) and advanced purification technologies focused on chiral, achiral and high throughput purifications (HTP) in a highly automated environment.
Our parallel medicinal chemistry team develops and optimizes synthetic methods to execute automated library synthesis including flow chemistry. The team works closely together with the medicinal chemistry project teams in the identification and optimization of new molecular entities.
Qualifications - External
We are currently looking for enthusiastic chemists with the following profile:
- PhD degree in organic, medicinal or analytical chemistry. Depending on the level additional years of post-doc or industry experience.
- Highly motivated and engaged team worker with a strong commitment to lab work.
- Good public record of scientific contributions (peer reviewed publications in high impact factor journals, patents, oral presentations…).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, fluent in English both verbal and in writing.
- Hands on knowledge of automated approaches and/or high throughput experimentation set-ups is considered a plus, as well as handling of large datasets.
- An exciting position in an international and dynamic environment with continuous learning and growth opportunities.
- Working on a campus that harbors all aspects of the drug discovery process, located close to the vibrant city of Antwerp.
- A competitive salary, on-site sport accommodations, health/energy programs and other benefits for you and your family.
- An inclusive team environment where diversity and different opinions are respected and valued, and the importance of a good work-life balance is recognized.
Interested to apply for this position? Please apply and upload your most recent CV.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.