Materials & Analytical Scientist
Analytical Scientist - Materials and Analytical Science/Explosives
AWE has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Scientist/Technologist to join the Explosives Characterisation and Compatibility team. This role is required to manage the day-to day activities in the lab including routine analytical testing, calibration, and laboratory maintenance.
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Amy Newman or Lee Beale
Typically, this will include:
- Utilisation of a suite of different material characterisation methods to evaluate the chemical or thermal properties of energetic materials (such as purity, or melt profile)
- Developing work instructions and safe systems of work
- Lab management including conducting Risk and COSHH assessments, and the writing of operating instructions
- Evaluating, interpreting and reporting of data for routine analysis
- Participation in R&D work, and subsequent production of experimental flash reports
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates with strong experience of working as an analytical scientist.
It is desirable that candidates can demonstrate the following:
- Experience and understanding of working with hazardous materials
- Experience in/knowledge of a range of characterisation techniques e.g. HPLC, SEC, wet chemistry methods, DSC, TGA
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Ability to work with others collaboratively in a team setting
- Enthusiastic, positive, proactive, flexible attitude and able to take the initiative
- Experience in working in a quality led environment
All candidates must be able to apply for and maintain the correct security clearance for this role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.