At Zentraxa, we are developing new technologies that allow the production of new biologically inspired materials. We are looking for a Materials Scientist, with a background in (bio)polymer chemistry and testing, to join our rapidly growing team. The role is based at our headquarters located in Bristol’s only dedicated scientific incubator, Unit DX (see www.unitdx.com for more details).
As our Materials Scientist, you will work join our team of biological scientists to design, formulate and characterise new peptide materials. You will be responsible for Zentraxa’s internal materials testing, ensuring data is collected and benchmarked to industry standards. You will be expected to take the lead designing experiments, collecting and interpreting materials characterisation data. You will have demonstrated experience of leading and planning experimental work, as well as keen eye for detail, excellent time management and organisation skills. It would be highly desirable to have had experience with working in interdisciplinary scientific teams. Working closely with partners, you will develop product formulations and test protocols for testing and benchmarking of our new materials to meet the customers’ requirements.
For this role, you will have significant experience testing materials. In particular, you will have experience with tensile stress-strain testing, thermal testing including differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), and rheology. You must be able to interpret data to understand and improve a material’s physical properties. An understanding of either adhesives or hydrogels would be advantageous. You will be hands-on, able to work independently, adaptable to new ideas, resourceful and self-motivated.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with at least 5 years post graduate experience (inclusive of Masters or PhD) who shares our ambition to grow.
• Detailed knowledge and hands on experience of materials characterisation techniques (tensile stress-strain testing, rheology, thermogravimetric analysis, differential scanning calorimetry) and their interpretation.
• Detailed knowledge of (bio) polymer chemistry
• Ability to work on new projects, design experiments, write standard operating procedures and risk assessments.
• Rigorous approach to experimental work, with good attention to detail and time management.
• Ability to troubleshoot problems independently or where appropriate asking for advice.
• Strong presentation and communication skills (written and verbal)
• Good Microsoft Office Skills
• Knowledge / experience of formulating ingredients into new materials
• Characterizing bio polymers e.g. hydrogel materials.
• Design or treatment of bio polymers to modify their properties.
• Understanding of biochemistry.
• Previous experience in an SME.
• Knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) and 3D printing.
What you will do:
• Collect, analyse and interpret materials testing data, including tensile testing, DSC, TGA and
• Take responsibility for our internal materials testing, ensuring data is collected and benchmarked
to industry standard.
• Work closely with the R&D team to formulate biologically derived materials appropriate for end
• Define and execute an experimental work plan, drawing on input from the rest of the team.
• Document and timely reporting of all experimental work.
• Reporting to customers and technical partners meeting with defined project deliverables.
• Maintain facilities and equipment. Where appropriate, training will be provided for routine
• Follow good laboratory practices and adhere to company health and safety policies.
Expected Start Date:
Ideally by 1st November 2020
To apply for this position, please email your CV and a covering letting highlighting why you fit
the role to email@example.com. Please include “Materials Scientist” in the email subject. Any
applications without a covering letter will be discarded.
Eligibility and Expectations
• In order to qualify for this position, you must be authorised to live and work in the UK.
• You must have respect for others and a commitment and enthusiasm for high standards and
• At Zentraxa we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and actively encourage
applications from people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, ethnic origin, disability, age,
religion or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation
to this recruitment process.
Important information regarding your application:
Please note that we will not be confirming receipt of applications. With regard to an application, the
procedure outlined will be followed:
• Zentraxa will keep records of your application strictly for recruitment purposes.
• Any recruitment documentation will be kept for 12 months following the job position
• being filled.
• The successful candidates’ recruitment documentation will be kept in accordance with Zentraxa’s
Internal Personal Data Policy.
If you wish for your information to be removed from our records before that date, please mention this in
Apply for Materials Scientist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly