Innovative Bio-based Material Process Internship
Cambond is a biomaterial technology start-up company headquartered in Cambridge in 2014. It has developed a plant-based resin which can be used as an adhesive for construction products in wood panel industry to replace toxic formaldehyde-based resin. We have IP to cover non-added formaldehyde bioresin system to be used in making MDF, OSB, particle board and plywood. Cambond resin allows for environmentally friendly manufacture of construction products (wood panels, other materials) to be made in existing manufacturing facilities at competitive cost. In addition, Cambond resin can also be combined with many types of agricultural biomass fibres or polymers to make a range of biomass composites which offer environmental and commercial advantages.
Cambond technology solves the 2 largest problems manufacturers have in looking for environmentally friendly materials for their products.
- Cost - alternatives to plastics are more expensive than the materials they replace.
- Supply - alternatives are often available in limited supplies inhibiting large scale change.
We have manufacturing facility in China to produce both bio-resin and bio-based home-ware products where our JV company hire 30 people to scale up biobased products. In UK, we have a small facility set up in NIAB Eastern Agri-tech Innovation Hub in Soham, Ely to carry out research and development of innovative projects in UK/Europe.
We are looking for a mature hands-on, outgoing chemistry background team member to carry out daily lab based duties including:
- Preparation of lab equipment and materials for biobased product process
- Carrying out experimental works under supervision
- Carrying out routine daily lab duties to work on assigned projects
- Writing project reports for assigned projects and experiments
- Presenting experimental results on selected meetings
The role of the appointment will be part of technical team to develop Paper, Ash and Resin: Valorisation of Foundation Industry Waste Streams funded by Transforming Foundation Industries (TFI) Challenge Grant, which will ensure the intern receive good learning experience and expect to have a full employment within the company after a successful internship program.
Qualifications and Skills Required by Applicant:
- Chemistry subjects related graduate or equivalent with general material process experience
- Familiar with chemistry lab equipment and basic skills to operate
- Computer Skill: Know how to operate Microsoft Program such as MS-Word, Excel and PowerPoint soft-ware and other engineering software will be plus
- Safety awareness working in a chemistry related facility
- Love eco-friendly, sustainability related business. Willing to work in the countryside environment. Have passion and awareness on waste management and circular economy.
- Skills on engineering and product design will be a plus.
- Full UK driving license for commuting
The successful applicant will be paid via company's PAYE system as a full- time employee during the employment with the company. The intern will be given relevant training for the job and tasks. The skills learned and developed during the employment will be formed the basis of RSC funded internship. The salary is 800-1000 GBP/month based on applicant’s experience. The intern will work 24 hours/week
Time of Internship:
Close Date of Application: 18th September
Expected Job Start Date: 1st Oct 2020
Contact within the organisation:
Xiaobin Zhao PhD CChem FRSC FIMMM
Future Business Cambridge Centre
Kings Hedges Road
Cambridge CB4 2HY
Mobile : 07507949517