Programme Manager, Inclusion & Diversity
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) seeks a Programme Manager, Inclusion and Diversity to join us on a permanent full-time (35 hours per week) or part-time (minimum 28 hours per week) basis. You will be based at our Cambridge office (free onsite parking), and will frequently travel within the UK, with some international travel and weekend and evening work.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is committed to promoting diversity in the chemical sciences. We recognise the importance of valuing all members of our community; we believe that for the chemical sciences to prosper, they must attract, develop and retain a diverse community of talented people. As a professional and membership body, we have the responsibility to shape the chemical sciences for the benefit of the wider community to ensure diversity in the chemical sciences now and in the future.
In advancing the chemical sciences for the benefit of humanity, we are proactive in ensuring that all of our activities are accessible and inclusive to the community. We initiate new activities and projects that will improve the inclusion and diversity of our community at all stages of the pipeline; we bring together evidence to inform how to make such improvements.
Our Inclusion and Diversity team drives initiatives and sets policies that drive and support the development of a more diverse and inclusive chemistry community. Partnerships with key organisations across STEMM subjects and collaboration with academia and industry are central to our work.
As Programme Manager, Inclusion and Diversity for the Royal Society of Chemistry, you will be an in-house expert on key issues for the chemical sciences, familiar with relevant data, reports and policy. You will lead specific projects and will develop and support the RSC’s diversity policies, procedures and activities to ensure that we deliver our strategy and will work closely with RSC members and other stakeholders with expertise in this field to embed diversity in all our external work and deliver the highest impact to our community.
We are looking for:
- PhD in chemistry or related sciences (or equivalent).
- Passion for chemistry or related sciences research and innovation.
- General knowledge of the chemical science sector and wider STEMM community, including education, higher education, academia and industry.
- Knowledge of the factors currently influencing the inclusion and diversity environment, as well as the needs and concerns of people in the chemical sciences community.
- Experience of working in a team within a scientific organisation, industry, university or in a government setting to develop and deliver successful programmes and projects.
- Ability to communicate and influence effectively with a variety of stakeholders and audiences, using a range of written and oral communication channels and in a range of sectors.
- Experience of working on complex projects involving multiple stakeholders and / or able to balance and prioritise across multiple projects, tasks and deadlines.
- Initiative and ability to develop new ideas and approaches.
- Experience of organising meetings and events.
- Experience of working in a matrix environment.
- Network of scientific contacts within the chemistry or related sciences and broader inclusion and diversity community or evidence of being able to develop such networks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to handle sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills.
- Excellent networking skills with experience of developing internal and external contacts.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to learn quickly and manage a diverse, rapidly changing portfolio.
The Royal Society of Chemistry supports development and offers excellent benefits.
If you are interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
If you are short listed, interviews will be held on 28/11/19, 29/11/19, 02/12/19 or 03/12/19.
Download the full job description here.