Technician - Wet Chemistry
In RSSL we are customer focused, science led and results driven. The RSSL Pharmaceutical Chemistry laboratory performs a wide range of analytical analyses for a variety of food, pharmaceutical and healthcare companies and supports Mondelez research and innovation.
The role of Technician is to be responsible for performing a range of routine activities to support effective completion of projects and meet the customer’s contractual agreements, perform laboratory administration (responsibility for checking of LIMS data during project initiation, reagent and sample disposal and data archiving), general housekeeping activities, basic routine equipment calibration and work in accordance with the quality standards within the laboratory.
- Provide high quality customer service at all times by ensuring effective organisation of assigned workload, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results
- Efficiently and proactively book in or perform GMP quality checks on all incoming projects in the laboratory database system, ensure all required materials are in stock or ordered and correctly store supplied materials within the laboratory
- Provide archival service on behalf of the laboratory in accordance with set procedure
- Clarify any omissions to required technical details during project submission directly with clients by email or telephone
- Monitor expiry/disposal dates of reagents and samples, and administer disposal activities as required
- Perform routine calibrations and qualifications of basic wet chemistry equipment, such as pipettes and balances under supervision of a senior member of staff, operate basic lab equipment as directed and ensure a tidy and safe working environment
- Be competent in the use of generic and specific software packages required for the role such as the LIMS system and Q-Pulse
- Perform laboratory administration and housekeeping duties as directed
- Work in different laboratories if the demand is required
Communication and Influence
- Work as a part of an efficient analytical team
- Work to the highest standards of safety and quality by ensuring that all appropriate COSHH, risk assessment and SOP documents are understood and followed
- Complete all assigned quality actions in a timely manner
- Maintain a clean, tidy and safe working environment
- Understand and work to the requirements of GMP and UKAS
- Ensure training records are accurate
Knowledge: including education, qualifications and training
- Education to A level, preferably one of which is Chemistry, or relevant laboratory experience.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel) preferred.
- Listening - Meticulous attention to detail and an ability to follow written instructions.
- Peer Relationships - ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Informing - Good written and communication skills.
- Planning - Able to multi-task within a lab environment.
- Problem solving - can see hidden problems, looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Personal learning – demonstrates an eagerness to learn new techniques.
- Scientific understanding of basic laboratory equipment.
- Fluent English, written and spoken.