Senior Environment Specialist
Role -Senior Environmental Specialist
Location - Reading area
Package - Competitive Salary plus pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme, and excellent work/life balance including nine day working fortnight.
AWE are recruiting for a Senior Environmental specialist to support implementation of the Environmental Management System (EMS) at AWE, which is certified to ISO 14001:2015.
This will include coordination of the ISO 14001 surveillance audit programme and to provide timely and accurate advice to the business. The role holder will be accountable for the update, production and review of EMS Management System Procedures (MSPs) in relation to Compliance Obligations, Environmental Aspects and Objectives & Targets. This includes management of the Compliance Obligations Register (COR), risks and opportunities within the Environmental Management Programme (EMP) and Corporate Register of Environmental Aspects.
To be successful in the role you will have:
- Degree in an environmental science or management based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or commensurate practical experience.
- Detailed understanding of current environmental management systems including ISO14001.
- Detailed understanding of current environmental legislation, standards and guidance (including licence conditions and environmental permits) relevant to role.
- Understanding of improvement techniques.
- Ability to influence and persuade at all levels within the organisation.
- Strong interpersonal/communication, report writing and presentation skills.
- Able to anticipate problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Capable of maintaining a high degree of effectiveness in a multi task role, managing priorities and delivering to challenging timescales.
- Leads by example, visibly demonstrating Company Values: Pride, Innovation, Excellence and Trust.
Additionally, the role will involve developing and implementing an environmental training programme in support of the environmental training strategy. The role holder will also be required support to the Team Leader EMS to address general EMS requirements and tasks as they arise. This may include undertaking evaluation of compliance inspections, internal audits and deputisation at management meetings.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the relevant security clearance for this role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.