Globachem is an international, family-owned agrochemical company. We are specialised in developing, registering and marketing high quality crop protection products for agriculture and horticulture. Globachem Discovery is the UK-based division of the R&D department of Globachem. Globachem Discovery operates in the early phases of the R&D pipeline, creating new molecules and lead chemical series. After initial biological efficacy testing and early toxicology assessment, the molecules move to the Belgian R&D division for further development into highly effective and economic crop solutions.
Globachem Discovery are seeking enthusiastic Chemistry Graduates to join their expanding team in Alderley Park, UK. The candidates will ideally have proven synthetic organic chemistry and team working skills, and be at least BSc qualified. The job will be predominantly laboratory based.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Your duties as a Research Chemist will be varied; however, the
key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Synthesis of novel agrochemical compounds and derivatives of lead compounds to specific purity and quantity requirements as dictated by project
- Follow experimental protocols regarding compound synthesis with ability to adapt the procedure to optimise conditions
- Identify and improve synthetic routes for the preparation of target molecules
- Maximise use of appropriate technologies to increase efficiency
- Maximise appropriate use of parallel synthesis and purification
- Acquire analytical/physicochemical data and assess experimental outcome
- Contribute to reports, patent applications and publications
- Investigate current literature for new syntheses and techniques which can be applied to the project
- Develop knowledge base in synthetic organic chemistry and relevant target area. Maintain own literature awareness (journals and patents)
- Recommend novel compounds based on data within own project
- Communicate chemistry, results, ideas and questions accurately with the team, line manager and senior management
- Maintain good housekeeping as well as careful and thorough bench chemistry
- Keep a careful record of experimental work
- Provide timely entries to Globachem databases
- Follow COSHH (safety) procedures
To be successful in your application for this opportunity to
develop as a synthetic organic chemist within a young and
exciting small company, you will be required to demonstrate the
- Relevant Chemistry degree (BSc minimum); interest and ability in organic synthesis
- Proven industry experience or significant project work in practical synthetic organic chemistry
- Excellence in theoretical and practical synthetic organic chemistry
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- You are a teamplayer, but can also work independently
- You are a strong communicator
A company with a great future
Globachem offers you an interesting job with real responsibilities in a growing and financially healthy family business that has a great future ahead. This is an exciting opportunity to join a young and enthusiastic team, in which you can develop with training and experience, as part of a dynamic company.
How to apply?
Send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org