Material Sciences Technical Specialist
Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL), is a leading-edge contract research organisation offering research, analysis and consultancy to a global client base. We engage with a diversity of start-up companies through to established blue-chip food and pharmaceutical companies. Our commitment is great science, integrity and excellent customer focus assuring that we deliver value to our clients.
RSSL also supports our parent company Mondelēz International where we operate as the Reading Science Centre for Mondelez. This means that we have the agility and autonomy of being in a small company whilst enjoying the development and growth of being in a large multinational organisation.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Material Science Technical Expert to join our team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing expert, technical leadership and scientific consultancy specialising in physical sciences and material characterisation.
The role requires in-depth knowledge of rheology and particle characterisation which is underpinned by hands-on experience of particle sizing from nano to micron range (Malvern Masterziser / Zetasizer), flow/deformation behaviour of materials and powders (shear cell and rheometers), shape, specific surface area and dynamic vapor sorption.
This knowledge is used to drive improved technology and translate concepts into creation of new products, improving production processes and solving manufacturing problems.
The responsibilities of the role are to supervise complex projects including a practical input, to keep abreast of scientific developments, represent and influence at relevant external industry events and ensure our services remain leading edge across various industries. Additionally, the role holder will demonstrate inspirational technical leadership to develop the next generation of physical scientists using a range of on the job training, coaching and mentoring activities as appropriate.
The successful candidate will be a technical expert in Material Science with extensive experience in rheology and particle characterisation underpinned by strong academic achievement preferable to PhD. Furthermore, we are seeking a recognised specialist who meets the criteria of:
- Fellow / Membership of relevant professional body
- History of published work in relevant scientific journals
- Recognised industry expertise
- Experience in application of rheology and particle characterisation to food and/or pharmaceutical systems.
- Deep scientific and practical expertise that supports strategic & tactical plans.
- Track record of outstanding research accomplishments.
- High levels of business acumen with strong ability to interpret, deliver and create new business opportunities.
- Professional status – Fellow/Member of relevant professional body and published work in relevant scientific journals.
- Proven experience of authoring technical reports and presenting findings at relevant symposia.
- Good knowledge of laboratory quality and accreditation systems (e.g. GMP/UKAS)
- Good knowledge of statistical frameworks (e.g. Minitab, multivariate analysis, process capability assessment)
- Evidence of report publication and track record of success.
- Experience of laboratory quality and accreditation systems (GMP/UKAS)
- Experience of process optimisation and problem solving in manufacturing as demonstrated by application scientific rationale to providing practical technical solutions.
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.