Senior Scientist, Assay Chemistry
5 days left
- Full Time
Job title: Senior Scientist, Assay Chemistry
Reporting to: Head of Research
Location: St Phillips, Bristol, UK
Hours of work: Full time, permanent
Closing date: Friday 24th May 2019
Benefits package: £33,000 - £37,000, dependent on experience
Expected start date: Flexible, from July 2019
Rosa Biotech is redefining biosensing through its AI-driven outcome-focused approach. Our patent-pending biosensing platform enables the accuracy and saleability to address previously intractable challenges in early disease diagnosis and industrial biotechnology.
Our technology combines state-of-the-art peptide design with machine learning methods, building and expanding upon the pioneering work of Professor Dek Woolfson and his team within University of Bristol’s Centre for Synthetic Biology – see Woolfson et al., Science 2014, 346, 485-488.
Rosa Biotech was incorporated in March 2019. The company is backed by a team of experienced, high-profile business angels. These include the founders of Ziylo, the biosensing company recently acquired by Novo Nordisk for up to $800 million, and Cramer, the systems technology company acquired by Amdocs for $450M.
We are based at the Unit DX biosciences hub in the heart of Bristol. Conveniently located near Bristol Temple Meads station, the hub is home to over 20 science-driven companies and provides a melting pot of academic researchers, startup and spinout companies, investors and support services.
This Senior Scientist will develop Rosa Biotech’s core biosensing platform for use in early commercial applications and long-term development opportunities. We are looking for candidates with a postgraduate research backgrounds, and ideally with some experience of research translation or industrial research.
Expertise in peptide design or biosensing would be a distinct advantage for this post, and applicants from these areas are particularly encouraged to apply. However, we are keen to receive applications from ambitious and energetic individuals across the chemical, biophysical, pharmacological and biochemical sciences or bioengineering with an interest in commercialising world-leading research.
The successful applicant will join a vibrant research team that combines expertise in bioinformatics and computational design, peptide and protein chemistry, and biophysics.
Roles and responsibilities
• Carry out research in peptide chemistry and its application to biosensing.
• Write reports and collate supporting information, presenting work at company meetings, and potentially more widely.
• Execute experimental work plans, drawing on input from the rest of the team.
• Document and report all experimental work in a timely fashion.
• Assist the team to ensure procedures are developed and kept up to date.
• Build strong, positive working relationships with team members.
Relevant skills & experience
• Ability to execute an experimental work plan; drawing on input/advice and feedback from the team leader and wider team.
• Experience with peptide and/or protein design, synthesis, purification and
characterisation using chemical synthesis or recombinant expression.
• Experience with high-throughput assays and functional assays of peptides/proteins.
• Ability to work independently with good problem-solving skills.
• Ability to analyse, interpret and optimise experimental data, and draw conclusions.
• Ability to take accurate and reliable records of work carried out.
• Experience with peptide/protein de novo design, engineering small-molecule binding.
• Experience with computer programming, scripting and/or machine learning.
• Experience with solid-phase peptide synthesis.
• Experience in structural biology including visualisation and modelling.
• Experience in using electronic notebooks.
• Experience of working in a multidisciplinary team in an early stage company.
• Excellent numeracy and literacy, and computer literacy.
• A good honours degree (or equivalent) with subject knowledge and research experience in the relevant area.
• A postgraduate research degree (or working towards one) in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, biomaterials, or bioengineering.
• A first degree in the chemical or biochemical sciences or in engineering.
• A PhD in in the chemical or biochemical sciences or in engineering, involving experience of modern peptide/protein chemistry/biochemistry and biophysics/structural biology.
Eligibility and expectations
In order to qualify for this position, you will need to be authorised to live and work in the UK.
The majority of work will take place at Unit DX, Albert Road, Bristol, BS2 0XJ and the
Synthetic Chemistry Building of the School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Cantock's Close, Bristol BS8 1TS. The work may also involve short visits to other organisations in the UK and overseas, with the potential for occasional overnight stays.
At Rosa Biotech we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome employees who meet the requirements of the job, regardless of gender, ethnic origin, disability, age, religion or sexual orientation. You must have respect for others and a commitment and enthusiasm for high standards and continuous improvement.
Important information regarding your application:
By making this application you are confirming your consent for Rosa Biotech to hold details of your application and associated personal information strictly for recruitment purposes. Rosa Biotech will keep all recruitment documentation for 12 months following the job position being filled. The successful candidates’ recruitment documentation will be kept in
accordance with Rosa Biotech’s Internal Personal Data Policy.
If you wish for your information to be removed from our records before that date, please contact email@example.com stating “Personal information removal request” in the title of your email, or by writing to us at Rosa Biotech Limited, Unit DX, Albert Road, Bristol, BS2 0XJ.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your CV with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org including "Job application – Senior Scientist, Assays" in the subject line.
The deadline for application is 5pm UK time, Friday 24th May 2019.
Apply for Senior Scientist, Assay Chemistry
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly