Research Scientist – Materials
Purpose of Job
Lead research into the chemical composition, properties and performance of wood in order to develop optimal wood treatment formulations and processes for timber preservation in support of the Company product development plan.
Key areas of responsibility
- Plan materials fixation projects and programs to support the product development plan, ensuring the development of robust, cost effective and effective formulations.
- Implement and control material projects to ensure they are delivered on time, within scope and within budget
- Investigate materials, products, structures or components which fail or do not function as unintended.
- Conduct research into the structures and properties of materials in order to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or enhance existing ones.
- Conduct research to determine composition, properties, behaviour, utilization, development, treatments, and processing methods of wood and wood products.
- Analyse physical, chemical, and biological properties of wood to discover new ways to utilize and enhance wood’s strength, endurance, and versatility using a range of wood preservative types.
- Determine ways to strengthen or combine materials, or develop new materials with new or specific properties for use in a variety of products and applications.
- Interpret and report analysis and trial results.
- Routinely report the progress of projects against plan and identify potential improvements to performance.
- Assist in the development of the Company product development plan.
- Maintain laboratory documentation in accordance to required scientific, regulatory and intellectual property requirements, write reports, prepare and communicate with presentations
- Write/revise/review SOP’s, risk assessments and COSHH forms to Company standards
- Assist in managing the day-to-day activities in the laboratory including mentoring other team members or students where applicable.
- Present papers and represent the Company at industry conferences.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the R&D team to ensure the achievement of project, departmental and business objectives.
- Keep abreast of developments in timber preservation and product formulations in order to best support the Company product development plan.
- Support Company HS&E programmes, working always with due regard to company and legislative health, safety and environmental requirements and acting to minimise risk in order to avoid injury, ill-health and environmental damage.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Minimum of University degree in material science, chemistry, wood technology or related field with a minimum of 2 years industrial experience. PhD desirable.
- Experience with formulations, coatings, microfluidic technology, or encapsulation preferred
- Hands-on experience with laboratory methods and analytical instrumentation
- Good understanding of general chemistry, organic chemistry, and materials science
- Strong analytical skills interpreting data and results with limited supervision, ability to plan next steps based on results, sometimes requiring innovation in methodology
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment utilizing shared resources under challenging time limits
- Handle complex tasks simultaneously and contributes to planning, designing, and execution of projects
- Excellent organisational, teamwork and communication skills
- Continually develop skill sets for new technologies and methods by being innovative with a strong entrepreneurial drive
This job description describes the normal responsibilities of the job holder. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or tasks. All employees are expected to contribute to effective team working and are required to comply with any reasonable management request.