Research Scientist - Formulation
Purpose of Job
Lead the research and development of product formulations for timber preservation in support of the Company product development plan.
Key areas of responsibility
- Plan product formulation projects and programs to support the product development plan, ensuring the development of robust, cost effective and effective formulations.
- Implement and control formulation projects to ensure they are delivered on time, within scope and within budget
- Design, coordinate, and conduct testing programs and trials to characterize key performance indicators necessary for project delivery.
- Interpret and report analysis and trial results.
- Routinely report the progress of projects against plan and identify potential improvements to performance.
- Assist in the development of the Company product development plan.
- Maintain laboratory documentation in accordance to required scientific, regulatory and intellectual property requirements, write reports, prepare and communicate with presentations
- Write/revise/review SOP’s, risk assessments and COSHH forms to Company standards
- Assist in managing the day-to-day activities in the laboratory including mentoring other team members or students where applicable.
- Present papers and represent the Company at industry conferences.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the R&D team to ensure the achievement of project, departmental and business objectives.
- Keep abreast of developments in timber preservation and product formulations in order to best support the Company product development plan.
- Support Company HS&E programmes, working always with due regard to company and legislative health, safety and environmental requirements and acting to minimise risk in order to avoid injury, ill-health and environmental damage.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Minimum of a University degree in chemistry, engineering, material science, or related field with a minimum of 2 years industrial experience. PhD desirable.
- Experience with formulations, coatings, microfluidic technology, or encapsulation preferred. Ideally obtained working in the Ag-chem industry.
- Hands-on experience with laboratory methods and analytical instrumentation
- Good understanding of general chemistry, organic chemistry, and materials science
- Strong analytical skills interpreting data and results with limited supervision, ability to plan next steps based on results, sometimes requiring innovation in methodology
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment utilizing shared resources under challenging time limits
- Handle complex tasks simultaneously and contributes to planning, designing, and execution of projects
- Excellent organisational, teamwork and communication skills
- Continually develop skill sets for new technologies and methods by being innovative with a strong entrepreneurial drive
This job description describes the normal responsibilities of the job holder. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or tasks. All employees are expected to contribute to effective team working and are required to comply with any reasonable management requests