Product / Process Development Scientist
Purpose of Job
To work as a member of the product development team with responsibility for ensuring products are developed such that practicable, safe and cost effective means of manufacturing and application are fully considered in the development process, and to lead customer trials to ensure the adoption of Company products by customers.
Key areas of responsibility
- Advise research teams on implication of manufacture and industrial use of products in development to ensure new products are brought rapidly and satisfactorily to market.
- Plan, organise and oversee scale-up manufacturing trials in support of the Company Product Development Plan.
- Plan and perform technical support visits and trials at customers’ premises as required
- Advise equipment modification to enable process changes for new product development
- Design, coordinate, and conduct testing programs and trials to characterize key performance indicators necessary for project delivery.
- Interpret and report analysis and trial results.
- Routinely report the progress of projects against plan and identify potential improvements to performance.
- Assist in the development of the Company product development plan.
- Maintain laboratory documentation in accordance to required scientific, regulatory and intellectual property requirements, write reports, prepare and communicate with presentations
- Write/revise/review SOP’s, risk assessments and COSHH forms to Company standards
- Present papers and represent the Company at industry conferences.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the R&D team to ensure the achievement of project, departmental and business objectives.
- Keep abreast of developments in timber preservation and product formulations in order to best support the Company product development plan.
- Support Company HS&E programmes, working always with due regard to company and legislative health, safety and environmental requirements and acting to minimise risk in order to avoid injury, ill-health and environmental damage.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Minimum of university degree in Chemical Engineering or related scientific discipline with a minimum of 2 years industrial experience. PhD desirable.
- Experience with manufacturing processes and product scale-up desirable
- Ideally familiar with GMP, GLP and compliance with ISO14001 ensuring these standards are maintained at all times.
- Experience in the creation, development and validation of high-throughput tests
- Excellent analytical skills and a logical and investigative mind
- Good communicator, using written and verbal media; able to advocate and justify own opinion, but equally able to take on board differing opinions and work collaboratively
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical/non-technical audiences
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively to solve demanding problems
- Able to recognise opportunities and implement improvements to create efficiencies
This job description describes the normal responsibilities of the job holder. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or tasks. All employees are expected to contribute to effective team working and are required to comply with any reasonable management requests.