Purpose of Job
To provide a chemical analysis service to support the successful delivery of product development projects as required by the Company product development plan and for assisting in the supply of excellent product and customer support services.
Key areas of responsibility
- Plan analytical work and programs to meet product development project needs, and regulatory and customer service requirements with due regard to budgetary constraints.
- Perform and direct chemical analyses activities according to plan.
- Interpret and report analysis results with due regard to the requirements of product development and product / customer support projects.
- Routinely report the performance of chemical analysis activities against plan and identify potential improvements to performance.
- Train R&D personnel in analytical methods in line with an agreed training plan.
- Develop analytical techniques and methods, including chromatographic and mass spectrometric methods, to best meet the Company product development and support requirements.
- Ensure that analysis procedures are adequately documented, and analysis work correctly conducted to meet the requirements of ISO 9001 and Company quality management standards.
- Oversee the calibration and maintenance of analytical equipment to ensure a high level of availability of equipment and the validity of results.
- Recommend improvements to and purchases of analytical equipment, with due regard to best and up to date practice, in order to improve analytical performance and project delivery.
- Present papers internally and to represent the Company at industry conferences.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the R&D team to ensure the achievement of project, departmental and business objectives.
- Support Company HS&E programmes, working always with due regard to company and legislative health, safety and environmental requirements and acting to minimise risk in order to avoid injury, ill-health and environmental damage.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Minimum of University degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline.
- At least 3 years’ experience gained from industry, academia or consultancies/contract research organisations.
- Ideally familiar with GMP, GLP and compliance with ISO14001
- Detailed understanding of analytical chemistry – sound understanding of organic/inorganic chemistry and process chemistry.
- Strong communicator, using written and verbal media; able to advocate and justify own opinion, but equally able to take on board differing opinions and work collaboratively.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively to solve demanding problems
- Able to recognise opportunities and implement improvements to create efficiencies
- Experience of analytical testing using HPLC, GC-MS, LC-MS, AAS, particle size testing and dissolution is preferred gained during degree or from industry.
- Other analysis including NMR, DSC, Karl Fischer and other specification typically used tests for generation of a certificate of analysis.
This job description describes the normal responsibilities of the job holder. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or tasks. All employees are expected to contribute to effective team working and are required to comply with any reasonable management requests.
Apply for Analytical Chemist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly