Senior Scientist I - DNA Analyst
Senior Scientist I - DNA Analyst
Req #: 1903628
Location: Reading, England UK
Job Category: Research, Development & Quality
Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL), is a leading-edge contract organisation offering research, analysis and consultancy to a global client base. We engage with a diverse selection of start-up companies through to established blue-chip food and pharmaceutical companies. Our commitment is great science, integrity and excellent customer focus assuring that we deliver value to our clients.
RSSL also supports our parent company, Mondelēz International, where we operate as the Reading Science Centre for Mondelez. This means that we have the agility and autonomy of being in a small company whilst enjoying the development and growth of being in a large multinational organisation.
We have an exciting vacancy for a Senior Scientist I - DNA Analyst to provide technical direction and leadership within the DNA and Protein laboratory.
The RSSL DNA and Protein laboratory performs a wide range of analytical analyses for a variety of food, pharmaceutical and healthcare companies and supports Mondelez research and innovation
The successful candidate will play a key role in delivering investigative analyses of products, method development and validations using techniques such as PCR and ELISA as well as managing and training junior members of the team.
In addition, you will engage with key clients allowing you develop or build on your commercial skills.
- Provide high quality customer service at all times by ensuring effective organisation of assigned workload, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results.
- Provide Technical direction within own area of expertise within the team.
- Perform a range of analysis using PCR and/or ELISA independently.
- Perform complex method development and design validation protocols.
- Perform maintenance and troubleshooting of lab equipment.
- Perform data checking and provide interpretation of results for routine testing.
- Generate certificate analysis or external interpretive reports.
- Expert user of specific software and proficient in the use of generic and specific software packages require for the role: Laboratory’s LIMS system, Q-Pulse, Gen 5.
- Provide training and supervise junior staff in routine activities, methods and interpretation.
- Take responsibility for elements of specific projects and/or specific areas of general laboratory/sample administration and assign housekeeping tasks as required.
- Will be expected to work in different laboratories if the demand is required.
Communication & Influence:
- Work as part of an efficient analytical team.
- To liaise with clients, business development and line management to ensure effective communication of project proposals and results.
- Participate in client and stake holder’s meetings as required.
- Deliver internal presentations across groups and to technical stakeholders.
- Manage small projects or defined areas of larger projects.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Plan own workload and plan routine projects for junior staff.
- Train junior members of the team as required.
- Manage a team of Scientists and Technicians.
- Work to the highest standards of safety and quality by ensuring that appropriate COSHHs, risk assessments and Standard Operating Procedures are understood and followed.
- To complete assigned quality actions on a timely manner, including review and approval.
- Write and approve the Standard Operating Procedures and Test Methods.
- Generation and approval of Risk Assessments and COSHH.
- Understand and provide technical regulatory leadership in client audits.
- To maintain a clean, tidy and safe working environment.
- To understand and work to the requirements of GMP and UKAS.
- Ensure training records are accurate.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education, Qualifications and Training:
- Educated to Degree or PhD in a relevant scientific discipline or equivalent relevant experience in a laboratory.
- Excellent understanding of basic lab equipment and use of Real Time PCR machine, ELISA Plate Reader, Gel Imaging Equipment.
- Scientific understanding and ability to independently conduct chemical analysis in relevant area.
- Good knowledge of laboratory quality and accreditation systems (GMP/UKAS).
- Accountable, honest, hardworking and able to work efficiently in a team.
- Flexible and adaptable to meet customer/business requirements. Well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently. Meticulous attention to detail.
- Good verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate with client’s and colleagues.
- Self motivated, enthusiastic and quick to learn.
- Able to organise own work and others to maximise output.
- Computer literate in standard MS office applications.
- Ability to deliver projects/work within tight timescales and ability to motivate and mentor junior scientific staff.
- Technical credibility to develop good working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Ability to problem solve and plan resources to maintain workflow in delivery of projects.
- Extensive experience of working in a laboratory conducting PCR analysis.
- Experience of working in a laboratory conducting ELISA analysis (Preferred).Analytical Project management.
- Fluent in English (Written and Spoken).
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.
Please be aware that this role will require you to handle materials that contain allergens and meat produce.