Biological Sciences Senior Group Leader
Biological Sciences Senior Group Leader
Req #: 1903341
Location: Reading, England UK
Job Category: Research, Development & Quality
Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL), is a leading-edge contract organisation offering research, analysis and consultancy to a global client base. We engage with a diverse selection of start-up companies through to established blue-chip food and pharmaceutical companies. Our commitment is great science, integrity and excellent customer focus assuring that we deliver value to our clients.
RSSL also supports our parent company, Mondelēz International, where we operate as the Reading Science Centre for Mondelez. This means that we have the agility and autonomy of being in a small company whilst enjoying the development and growth of being in a large multinational organisation.
Following on from our 30-year success story, we are now offering a new role created to build on the success of our Biological Sciences team, of which there are two key laboratories.
The Biopharma department provides analytical research and development support to the Biopharma industry, focusing on protein characterisation, release testing, impurity testing, stability testing, microbiological testing including sterility and assay development and validation. Offering rapid turnaround testing to support the ATMP market and investing in cutting edge technology for greater provision of services, we work with all our clients to provide an all-encompassing service (one-stop-shop). Based on a true understanding of client’s needs, expert scientific knowledge and experience and excellent customer service we strive to become the leading CRO in the UK in our areas of expertise.
The Pharmaceutical Microbiology team boasts experienced scientists who are proficient in conducting sterility testing, endotoxin analysis, PET, environmental monitoring, disinfectant testing, microbial limits and water testing. Additionally, the experience of this team means we are able to work very closely with and partner our clients, offering consultancy, troubleshooting and method validation all to a very high standard, which stands us apart from our competition. Practical exposure of GMPs within microbiology is key, with the acumen and vision to help champion and grow the microbiology business and offerings over the coming years.
In summary - RSSL provides a quick, accurate and authoritative service in biopharmaceutical products, enabling our customers to take swift action and protect their brands.
The role of Senior Group Leader will take responsibility for the management of the Biological sciences team to take the business to the next level of success. This encompasses management of contractual operations, delivery of budgetary responsibilities and maintenance / progression of the Quality Systems and Health and Safety programme. You will manage a team of talented scientists and be accountable for ensuring that work is processed in a timely fashion whilst adhering to the prerequisite quality standards expected by RSSL clients.
The individual in this position will have a solid standing and network in the Biopharma industry and have demonstrated the necessary technical knowledge and business acumen to further build and implement the strategic direction for business growth. Additionally, the individual will have strong people management skills in order to influence, manage and motivate a diverse group of scientists comprising different disciplines and capabilities.
Qualifications and Role Requirements
- Science based Degree or PhD with significant experience in a product development / laboratory environment and proven managerial experience.
- Knowledge of the technical area of expertise and business environment.
- High level of business acumen with a strong ability to interpret, deliver and create new business opportunities.
- Substantial knowledge of Quality as applicable in the food industry (UKAS) and / or the pharmaceutical industry (GMP) and the associated regulatory bodies guiding the pharmaceutical industry (MHRA, FDA).
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and mentor a diverse group of scientific staff to achieve their respective targets / objectives.
- Ability to manage teams through periods of change and to mentor junior staff to develop abilities.
- Ability to plan strategically to ensure that adequate facility and resource is maintained / allocated.
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent verbal and written skills.
- Technical credibility (food and healthcare) to develop good working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Ability to discuss and understand client's specific needs (internal & external) and to deal with queries as appropriate.
- Strong communication, networking and influencing skills and an ability to build customer confidence and commercial relationships.
- Flexible and adaptable to meet customer / business requirements.
- Well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Proven track record of working / managing in a biopharma environment.
- Knowledge of ICH Q6B biologic characterisation testing.
- Experience with ATMPs and / or biosimilars.
- Experience in Operational Management.
- Experience of working for, or with, a CRO.
- People management, developing and coaching others.
- Previous experience in successfully managing financial contracts and budgets with appreciation of the key financial drivers.
- English fluency (written and spoken).