Job Title: Scientist
Reporting To: Senior Scientist
Location: St Phillips, Bristol, UK
Full/Part Time: Full Time, Fixed-term (1 year with the possibility of extension)
Expected start date: No later than 30th June.
Carbometrics is a specialist chemistry company based in Bristol, UK. Our core competency is the design, synthesis and derivatisation of highly selective and robust carbohydrate-binding molecules. Our mission is to help people with diabetes to live more normal and longer lives. We are using our proprietary Biomimetic Glucose Binding Molecules (GBM) to develop a new glucose sensor chemistry that will enable market-leading Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM).
Our technology is based on over 20 years of cutting-edge research, pioneered by Professor Anthony Davis’ group at the University of Bristol (see: Davis et al., Nature Chemistry, 11, 52-56, 2019). Carbometrics’ goal is to exploit our GBM technology to realise a highly robust and accurate glucose sensing platform that can be used to create a market-leading Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) solution. The company was set up after the founders sold their first company, Ziylo, to Novo Nordisk, which is using the same platform to develop smart insulins. For more details on Carbometrics please see our website: www.carbometrics.com and our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/carbometrics/about/
The successful candidate will work as part of the scientific team to support the research and development of Carbometrics technology. We are looking for a someone to join the team who has some experience of working in a synthetic chemistry laboratory. To thrive in this role, you will have experience in organic synthesis, you will be hands-on and able to work independently, adaptable to ideas and change, resourceful and self-motivated. The role is based within our highly innovative team in Bristol’s only dedicated scientific incubator: Unit DX (see: www.unitdx.com for more details). Carbometrics is a young, growing company and will offer the successful candidate an interesting and enjoyable work environment with a highly-motivated team of scientists plus an opportunity to grow and develop your scientific skills and experience.
- BSc in Chemistry
- Further qualifications in chemistry (MSc or PhD).
Skills & Experience
- Excellent numeracy, literacy, and computer skills.
- Proficiency in key MS Office programs (Excel, Word) is desirable.
- Ability to work independently with good problem-solving skills.
- Chemical industry experience.
- Practical research experience (preferably including organic synthesis) in an industrial or academic laboratory.
- Ability to execute an experimental work plan; drawing on input/advice and feedback from the team leader and wider team.
- Experience with routine analysis methods such as NMR, IR, UV-Vis spectroscopy, Mass spectrometry.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage stock levels of key consumables
- Maintain facilities and equipment for the team in line with laboratory demand planning. Where appropriate, training will be provided for routine maintenance.
- General facility housekeeping duties.
- Carry out chemical synthesis and analysis under the guidance of the Principal and Senior level scientists.
- Maintain an excellent safety culture by timely reporting of all safety incidents and learning events.
- Execute an experimental work plan, drawing on input from the rest of the team.
- Document and timely reporting of all experimental work.
- Assist the team to ensure procedures are developed and kept up to date.
- Build strong, positive working relationships with team members.
- Actively contribute to continuous improvement by developing ideas to improve personnel safety, environmental aspects and process improvement.
Eligibility and Expectations
- In order to qualify for this position, you will need to be authorised to live and work in the UK.
- You must have respect for others and a commitment and enthusiasm for high standards and continuous improvement.
- At Carbometrics we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome employees who meet the requirements of the job, regardless of gender, ethnic origin, disability, age, religion or sexual orientation.
Important information regarding your application:
Please note that we will not be confirming receipt of applications. Please include in your application confirmation of your consent for Carbometrics to hold your information and personal details for recruitment purposes. Applications without consent will be discarded.
With regard to an application, the procedure outlined will be followed:
- Carbometrics will keep records of your application strictly for recruitment purposes.
- Any recruitment documentation will be kept for 12 months following the job position being filled.
- The successful candidates’ recruitment documentation will be kept in accordance with Carbometrics’ Internal Personal Data Policy.
If you wish for your information to be removed from our records before that date, please contact our Operations Manager, Miss. Charlie Proctor via email@example.com stating “Personal information removal request” in the title of your email, or by writing to us at Carbometrics Ltd, Unit DX, St Philips Central, Albert Road, Bristol, BS2 0XJ.
To apply for this role in the first instance please forward your CV with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org stating "Scientist" in the title. The deadline for application is 5 pm GMT, Friday 29th March 2019.
Apply for Scientist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly