Chemistry Graduate Internship
Position title: Chemistry Graduate Internship: Research Scientist 1
Commences: 1 November 2018
Contract Type: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Contract Hours: Full Time
Remuneration/ Pay rate: £18,000 - £23,000 per annum
Location: Brighton (University of Sussex campus)
Enthusiastic, motivated graduate chemist required to join Photodiversity. You should hold a degree within a relevant scientific discipline, ideally chemistry and possess academic or commercial laboratory experience. You will join a team producing libraries of highly innovative compounds using cutting edge technologies for sale to pharmaceutical and agrochemical companies. You will receive training of the highest quality in our industry standard laboratory. The internship is supported by the Royal Society of Chemistry as part of their EnterprisePlus scheme for companies.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Laboratory based small molecule preparation and characterization.
- Desktop based research and design and chemical risk assessments.
- Communicate via written report or presentation with internal and external contacts/parties.
- Oversee the maintenance of lab equipment and everyday up-keep.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of organic chemistry
- Experience in synthetic organic chemistry and purification techniques
- Working knowledge of mainstream characterization techniques (NMR, MS, IR)
- Understand and carry out experimental procedures and operate instrumentation with minimum supervision
- Understand and follow chemical risk assessment and COSHH/HSE regulations
- Maintain accurate up-to-date laboratory records
- Flexible team worker able to embrace priorities in order to meet deadlines
- Experienced in the use of MS-Office and chemical drawing programs