Analytical Scientist (Radiometrology)
Analytical Scientist - Radiometrology (B2)
Location: Nr Reading
Package: Competitive salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight.
We are currently recruiting for an Analytical Scientist to work within the Radiometric Sciences team within Materials & Analytical Science. The applicant will be leading data analysis and radioactive sample analysis for Nuclear Threat Reduction programmes including Nuclear Forensics.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
· Performing sample analysis for customers and generating results reports
· Producing technical reports based on experimental research and development
· Working collaboratively with chemists, analysts and physicists
· Demonstrating outputs and methods meet required quality standards
· Gaining a competent technical understanding of the underpinning science and long-term programme goals
· Interacting with customers and key stakeholders to develop the capability and help set the technical direction
Ideally, we are looking for the successful candidate to have:
- A degree level science qualification, ideally in physics, chemistry, maths or computer science or relevant work experience
- Knowledge or experience in one or more areas of Radiochemistry, Radiation Physics, Detection Science or Statistics
- Programming experience in languages such as C++, VBA, Python, Java, GEANT4, MCNP
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, and able to communicate information in a clear and concise manner
- Organisational skills; capable of multi-tasking, identifying and managing priorities to meet defined time scales
· Experience of working within a team towards common goals
- A positive attitude and able to adapt well to change
- Willingness to represent AWE externally and be willing and able to travel abroad if required
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.