Particle Characterisation Scientist
Exciting opportunities in a truly unique environment.
If you want to work in a unique and innovative environment, then AWE could be the perfect place for you – whether you are a scientist, an engineer, a mechanic or a business professional. Whatever stage you’re at in your career, we’re always looking for high quality candidates.
Role: Particle Characterisation Scientist
Location: Reading Area
Closing date 31/01/19
Package: Competitive salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work as a member of an analytical science team providing unique capability for various customers.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities include:
· Be part of a team which includes Light Microscopy experts
· Contribute to the maintenance and development of light microscopy and sample handling capabilities for sample characterisation at AWE
· Develop specialist skills in sample analysis methods in a unique environment
· Conduct research into new methods in support of UK programmes and international organisations
· Potential to promote research by publication and presentation to expert audiences
· Maintain and develop existing light microscopy methods and sample analysis techniques for sample characterisation at AWE
· Potential to provide microscopy advice on data relating to national security issues
· Prepare internal reports and develop new methods
· Potential to represent AWE at international conferences to present results for inter-laboratory exchanges
Ideally, we are looking for the successful candidate to be educated to A Level standard and/or have some experience in microscopy. Analytical science skills or experience including analytical measurement skills and radiochemistry experience are also desirable but not essential.
Other skills and experience required include, but are not limited to:
· Meticulous attention to detail
· Ability to concentrate for long periods of time
· Good knowledge of microscopy methods and analytical science principles
· Knowledge of radiochemistry and analytical measurement - desirable
· Working knowledge of MS Office applications
· Knowledge of basic principles of quality assurance and quality control for analytical techniques
· Practical experience in microscopy preferably in a chemistry/radiochemistry laboratory environment
· Experience in measurement of radioactive materials or laboratory clean room conditions - desirable
· Development of computer programmes for data handling
· Analysis, interpretation and reporting of results
· Good practical laboratory skills
· Able to work safely and competently with radioactive and other hazardous materials
· Good mathematical and statistical analysis skills
· Good report writing and verbal communications skills
All Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work with radioactive and other hazardous materials.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.